Building a box for rear seat of 2001 chevy ext cab.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ActionJ-01-Z71
10+ year member

Action Jackson
TULSA
I want to put 2 10's in a sealed box back there under the seat. I am going to build my own and was wondering if there are any progs (free preferably) that allow you to put in the deminsions of the enclosure and then gives you the airspace and all the other good stuff?

AJ:D

without a doubt! Check custom boxes made for that truck such as mtx thunderforms or JL stealthboxes and see which way they fire. For just two tens, it'll make all the difference.

I don't think the distance is real critical. Personally, I'd go between 1.5 and 4 inches. Keep in mind the sub's excursion. If you build the box flat across the transmission hump, how much clearance would be on the two sides? Don't fire 2-10s in any other direction in this truck! Down will give you the best response, sound cleaner, and look stealth.

Originally posted by buster I don't think the distance is real critical. Personally, I'd go between 1.5 and 4 inches. Keep in mind the sub's excursion. If you build the box flat across the transmission hump, how much clearance would be on the two sides? Don't fire 2-10s in any other direction in this truck! Down will give you the best response, sound cleaner, and look stealth.
How so? Doesn't a sub's sound waves travel across a 180 degrees tangent, so the waves will go in the direction of the sub, so it shouldn't matter, right?

I didn't think so either, but had to learn the hard way. In an extended cab Z, I started off with 2 10's firing forward, sounded like @$$. Then, I went to 1 10 in an mtx thunderform firing down, sounded good and clean but wasn't loud enough. Then, I built a fiberglass box for 2 10's firing up into the seat. Now, I have a JL stealthbox with 2 10s firing down. You can try all of these options or fire down first and save $.

ive seen both down firing and front firing. both sounded great (small cabins!). i cant make a complete compar. since they were differant trucks, subs and amps. but as long as the boxes are built correctly and you have a well matched sub/amp combo either will be fine. it would be sweet if you could put a pivot point on each side of the box this way you can flip it down for stelth or up for a back massage and showing off!

quote: How so? Doesn't a sub's sound waves travel across a 180 degrees tangent, so the waves will go in the direction of the sub, so it shouldn't matter, right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does make a difference. Ask anyone on here, some firing directions in certain vehicles simply sound better than others.

Originally posted by buster I didn't think so either, but had to learn the hard way. In an extended cab Z, I started off with 2 10's firing forward, sounded like @$$. Then, I went to 1 10 in an mtx thunderform firing down, sounded good and clean but wasn't loud enough. Then, I built a fiberglass box for 2 10's firing up into the seat. Now, I have a JL stealthbox with 2 10s firing down. You can try all of these options or fire down first and save $.
since you have expir. with this vehicle i trust your opinion in this situation, but in other pick ups it can differ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.