Building 1st box.. 2 12" XFL's on a Phantom 4000md

Participant count
  • Participant list

Syntaxx7x
10+ year member

I want to go with something that will have the least amount of rattle in my trunk.. I've already put a layer of sound deadener in my trunk and trunk lid.. Now all that rattles is my bumper and roof..

Anyway.. I wanted to go with subs face up and ported into trunk.. or even ported into the cabin if that would be better.. Does sub placement have that much of a impact on rattling.. and what about port placement..??

I already have specs for box.. 4.2 cubic ft @ 33 hertz.. I'ma try to get it as close to that as possible.. I'm going to have to assemble the box in the trunk cause I have a stupidly small opening for my trunk but a good amount of volume in the trunk..

Any tips..?

Like I said this is my 1st box..and I don't want to mess anything up.. and i'm going to use 5/8 particle board for this one.. and once I have one that I like I'll use some Plexi and some LED's...and I'm having to assemble inside the trunk..

oh and i'll be putting it inside a 2010 Camaro..

i'm just using something cheap to get the right size and port area in my trunk.. I don't want to buy 3/4 mdf for my 1st box and F(_)c|

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

[/color]why not subs facing up??

Ok so I did some measurnents... I can get 4.94 sq ft each if I go with a 2 ft depth. . The box is going to be trapaziodal shaped.. should I rescale to meet the 4.2 ft or is bigger better?? Is there a drawback if the box is too big.. I think it has something to do with unloading.. would subs forward port side have less trunk vibration than subs back port back??

Ok.. just did some re calculations. . I can do a 1.75 ft depth on box and get it to 8.66 cubic ft.. which comes out to 4.33 per sub.. which is closer to the 4.2 that is recommended. . Will it matter if the port is on the angled side of the box??

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

And just for the record.. thanx for helping me out and answering my questions. .

4.2 cubes per sub ?? thats wayyyy too big 4.2 should be the size of the whole box...sonewhere between 4-5cubes total

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

And a angled box and port will probably cause some loading issues

I run this exact setup in my truck now, 2 xfls on a ph4000 but in a 4th order. U dont have this kind of room tho. Before this box I ran em in 4cubes ported at 32hz on a vfl110 same 2krms and it got real loud. Ive found trunk builds to be a real crap shoot as to whats louder or shakes more, but in general subs and port should be on the same plain either foward or to the rear. I am not a profeesional tho, there may very well be a science to ur maro so just keep askin and someone will chime in with the goods. Good luck on the build and remember its only wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx.. im trying.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Do u think the vfl is better than the phantom??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.