Speaker Boxes USA

Rockguy475
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
houston
Yeah, that port doesn't look very well thought out. I guess they were trying to let you see more of the magnet through the plexi window?

OP, what are the specs on the box (ie tuning freq and volume)?

MADE in the USA using premium 3/4" MDF with true Labyrinth Slot Venting

12" - 15.5"W x 15.0"H x 17.25"D 1.65 cu ft Air Space Tuning - 40 Hz

This is what they post on their site about the Labyrinth Venting design :

The Labyrinth Design increases the amount of bass your woofer produces without adding any additional power to your system.

As with all porting designs, the Labyrinth opens up the back side of the woofer so more sound can escape from the inside chamber of the box. By utilizing both the "push" and "pull" motion of your sub woofer the design of the enclosure is magnifying the sound of the sub woofer without exterior power added.

However, the porting process can also decrease sound if done improperly. This is done when the enclosure is tuned incorrectly to the ideal requirement of your sub woofer. A simple explanation would be the sound waves traveling from the "pull" of the woofer will cancel out the sound waves firing from the "push" of the woofer. Not only will the sound be adversely effected but continued play will cause permanent damage to the sub woofer.

The design of the Labyrinth Slot Vent brings a controlled sound level increase. By its "MAZE" design, long low frequency sound waves easily escape while short high frequency waves remain trapped unable to cause unwanted cancellation and distortion. In turn, this gives you the listener, loud clean bass a sealed or basic port design can not deliver.

Last edited by a moderator:
That "labyrinth port" talk reminds me of all the smoke and mirrors you see in the Home Theater Hi-Fi community. Yes, you need push-pull, but you don't need to bottleneck your port path, either. Plus, 1.65 cubes@36Hz for a W6 seems awfully high. Don't they normally like a lower tuning and closer to 1 cube ported?

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, though. Your ears will be the proof.

1.5 is the recommend for the W6 but iv always gone by if you are within the 10% margin it will be fine. This has always been true for me. Hope that it still is lol!

I think Obcon is the only ones who make a vented downfire box for my truck. I'd love to hear one before I bought one.

GMC|CHEVY|Custom|Speaker Boxes|Woofer Boxes|Sub Enclosure|Sub Boxes - Speaker Boxes USA

The only other ones for my truck that are vented are made by a guy locally, Fox Acoustics, or Fox Box as we call it. His ports come out of the back of the box, but outside. Basically the rear, but towards the door. I'd love to compare the two and see which is better.

2007-UP GM EXT CAB 2-10" VENTED

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.