Build time and wood type

WhiteYota

Senior VIP Member
Hello all, few questions -

Does anyone know what the current build time is on a set of xcon 18's - I am not one to pester places and have not asked SSA but its starting to worry me about it.

So while I am waiting I am working up a material list for my box - so far I have a few tubes liquid nails, tube of silicone for inside corners and screws. I am stuck on the birch plywood. From talking to a friend on mine that is a carpenter - he said that most of the plywood is standard with a thin layer of birch on the outside for finishing. He also told me that plywood comes in a few different layers - 5 or 7 layer. He suggested using the 7 layer for the strength but I am not sure if that matters. Looking at my local home depot or lowes - all I have seen there is what he described (standard plywood with just a thin layer on it). If this is the stuff that is suggested on here, why the birch layer rather then just 3/4 plywood?

edit - I know the SSA web site says 21+ days but it has been twice that now .

I am fine with the cost of the birch layered but if the two plywoods are the same but one just has a layer of birch on it why spend the extra just to make it look pretty if its getting covered with carpet? Unless the birch plywood that is suggested on these forums is indeed different, like all birch plywood or something like that.

Would like to avoid the extra weight of the mdf.

It is 21 business days. The build house is going as fast as they can to catch up to the spring rush. There is nothing to stress, we are updating everyone the moment their subs get onto the UPS truck.

Side note, Dcon and Gcon subs are all in stock and ready to ship no lead time.

main reason i stopped recommending SSA and Fi is their "build" times are insanely off. last time I ordered a re-cone from Fi it took 3 months, last time I ordered an SSA sub it took 2 months. both didn't attempt to return my calls or e-mails to let me know there was a delay or that it was even shipped. as for build material, i personally prefer MDF due to it's consistency and cost but if you don't mind varying densities in your wood and putting out more money than know yourself out.

Its not really the time it is taking issue with me - its the lack of letting me know that "hey we are behind so it is going to take a while longer" especially when they called me to let me know that one of the amps I ordered was discontinued. They could have told me they were behind and that the build time would take longer. At least then I would have expected a longer wait instead of wondering what is going on.

[quote name='fasfocus00']main reason i stopped recommending SSA and Fi is their "build" times are insanely off. last time I ordered a re-cone from Fi it took 3 months, last time I ordered an SSA sub it took 2 months. both didn't attempt to return my calls or e-mails to let me know there was a delay or that it was even shipped. as for build material, i personally prefer MDF due to it's consistency and cost but if you don't mind varying densities in your wood and putting out more money than know yourself out.[/QUOTE]

Box for 2 18s, mdf will be a pain in the d!ck for weight.

Sorry to hear that chris, @denim are you guys THAT backed up?

That's why I started looking into this birch wood and how its lighter. I knew that 2-3 cu ft box of mdf was heavy, I can only imagine what a 12-13 cu ft box would be (internal cu ft).

On another note - baltic birch from any lumber yard in the surrounding area from me would be a special order. I am more leaning to using a finished plywood, but If I am gonna get the veneered stuff, I want to go with like a oak or maple veneer. Something that would look awesome in an amber shellac.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.