Build Log: The boss' truck...

I've seen this thing mentioned a couple of times and I still haven't figured out exactly what it's for. Is this a replacement bass knob? Is it even a bass knob? What's so great about it?
The PAC LC-1 ties into your RCAs and min=0% and max=100% of the signal is passed through the RCA cable. This is very useful for competing since you can repeat the tone you want to burp at full volume on the head unit and your burp is via the twist of the little knob on your LC-1.

The LC-2 is the same but it's a high-low converter too. I think it'll be useful to be able to quiet the subs from time to time but I mostly needed the converter.

More pics...

The box came with a couple pieces of poly-fill. I guess OBCON knew they didn't build the chambers as large as advertised. Let me make this clear in case people find this googling OBCON, DO NOT BUY OBCON BOXES! This one was not as advertised at all.

I put a little glue and glued the poly-fill in place:

Subs wired and in the box:

I was hoping my amp kit would come in today. It's in town but won't get to me until Monday. I'll start pulling interior panels and get everything in next weekend.

Amp kit came in. I'll probably wait until this weekend to install. I'd hate to get started out in the oilfield and not have time to finish and be driving with the panels and carpeting not in place...

The truck now has 3400ish miles after a month of driving. Here's the truck as I arrived on a new location today:

The boss doesn't like when I get larger-than-stock sized tires. I don't know if have room to fit larger tires with the wheels fully turned either...it's close.

I will go with Goodyear Mud tires when I swap. I think they're will be very slightly larger but have much squarer shoulders on the tread. Stock will still look too small to me tho.

Whelp, it's all in...

My very busy dash. Hands free blue tooth and booster + cradle for the phone. The right side accessory plug that the GPS is plugged into has been re-wires to only be on when the ignition is on or on accessory...not always on like they all were. The LC-2 is wired into the left rear speaker wires. I had to sand down the LC-2 to make it fit in the little opening in the dash. It sticks out too far, but it sure does work nice.

Installed the Knu 4 gauge wire. Loomed it to it went thru a grommet into the cabin since I had some loom around:

Amp wired and on. I double and triple checked everything every step of this install since I've never installed to a factory head unit before. It's under the back of the back seat. Wiring isn't clean but its never going to be seen so I'm not worried about it:

And the dumb OBCON box...To be replaced around the time I receive my tax refund.:

The blue bin that holds most of my paperwork is right in front of the port.

All in all the sub stage sounds ok. It's not crystal clear and it's not very loud, but It is a huge upgrade from stock.

I'd like to build my own box for the subs and what I really want is to replace the stock head unit. My next most likely upgrades to this truck are nice front door speakers and another light layer of tint over the factory tint on the back windows.

One more little thing this weekend... I added side window visors.

Before:

After:

I'm going to go ahead and do a head unit and door speakers in it next weekend hopefully. I'm going to work in Moab, Utah hoping to be home by next weekend.

The truck also had it's first oil change at 5,000 miles yesterday and had a new right side headlight assembly installed on warranty(It had moisture in it).

Welp, at it again... Cleaned up the dash a little. The truck now has a Kenwood DVD with bluetooth, xm radio thingy, and a backup camera. It cleaned up the dash just a little getting rid of the aftermarket bluetooth and allowed me to change out the LC-2 for my LC-1.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The front speakers were replaced with a set of Kenwood eXcelon XR1800P components too(very awesome sound quality + loud). I have a bunch of deadener left around from the competing days I will probably pull door panels again next week and slap a sheet or two in each door. I still need to tint the back window a little darker and I have a heavy duty pre-runner front bumper ordered.

6700 miles on the truck now. I've been working a lot lately and haven't done much except for wash it once or twice, until the new bumper came in.

Hammerhead Armor with pre-runner style hoop:

I need to get some lights and a winch for the truck now, but I want to build a new sub box first. I still haven't added the deadener to the front doors even tho the door panels have been off twice now. I was just looking at the back seat mounts and think I can raise it 1/2"-5/8" safely and easily with some spacers giving me just a touch more room for my new box.

I found a winch in town for cheap today...

I ran down to the shop where I could use a jib crane to hold up the bumper:

...and pulled the bumper off

Slipped the winch in then re-installed the bumper. (Hadn't hooked up power in this pic)

Top view of the winch. I had to buy a couple of 4.5" clamps to fit the power unit onto the motor of the winch. Turned out OK.

It was cold out today so I didn't work on the new sub box any.

Still haven't deadened the doors or worked on a sub box. I did however Plasti-Dip some chrome emblems to black...

And the real pain done with a lot of razor work... I never did look to see if I could remove the letters it would have been much easier

I also got a Daystar winch keep-er-staight-er thing and a couple of 3/4" D-rings on the bumper.

Does 56k still exist? Sorry for so many photos if it does...

I didn't snap any photos but I replaced the American Bass 1880 with a DD M1A. It did make it a little louder to the ear. The box is seriously lacking though. I'm strongly considering buying 4x Incriminator Audio I series 8"s. I think a better box will help these 10" AB subs tho.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.