Build Log: The boss' truck...

soundstreamer
10+ year member

Ω
This build log isn't going to be super expensive since most upgrades are out of my pocket into a vehicle that I don't own... I just want to make this truck mine because I will be spending a lot of time in it for the next 5-6 years. Keep in mind if I quit or get fired, I will have all stock equipment to replace the aftermarket stuff in storage as I see fit.

First, there's my old company truck that tried to leave me in the field over and over because the fuel injection system has issues...

My boss got me a new work truck. It's a 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax. I had to give up my old truck which was a Megacab, So now I feel cramped for space something severe.

The new truck:

It's pretty plain, but I'm also lucky because the boss doesn't often buy us new trucks. We do need trustworthy, tough trucks that can drag trailers off highway. The Duramax is strong. If this thing had wings...

Upgrades so before I received the truck:

1- bedliner and tool box - must haves

2- cheap black nerf bars (set the tone for what I'm doing now)

3- legal tint on front windows to match factory tint

4- Bluetooth and a cell phone booster

5- leveling kit and alignment (much beter than stock)

I received the truck December 20th with a cool 26 miles on the odometer. I bought some organizational items for the cab and the bed on the way home. Then I started with rims... I usually get mud tires right a way but my boss told me to wear out the stock tires before I get to upgrade... so I put the stock tires onto some black rims.

My mechanics work fast which causes things like scratches and dents in the bedrails when they install toolboxes into the bed.

Well, I know how to fix that... Bushwacker OEM style bed rail covers.

Now the truck has about 2000 miles on the odometer.

The boss is paying for the XM Satellite radio on the stock stereo so I'm going to leave it in there. It gets expensive real quick to put a new deck in because I do like all the bells and whistles. The stock system stinks... it's not even the Bose system.

I started with picking a box for the subs. It's a dual 10 down-firing ported box from OBCON

Obcon 07 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 2500 3500 Crew Cab 10" Ported Box OBQ69 10c | eBay

It was cheap. Now that I've seen it I know why. It says in the ebay add that it's 5/8" wood. I see a couple pieces of 1/4" MDF right behind where the subs fit...

To make the flimsy stuff a little tougher I did a layer of resin, a layer of fiberglass cloth, then a couple more layers of resin.

Then I flipped the box over and did a couple layers of resin inside.

I didn't add much to the height of the box or limit the mounting depth by coating the wood with resin. I'm not going too crazy with this truck anyhow.

Oh yeah... There was a gnarly lip on the end of the port.

Time to break out the flush-trim router bit... oh, I loaned my router to hunterw... oh well, lets sand the port open...

That's where I stand now. I need some black paint to make the port pretty again now.

Next is? Looking for advise.

I've considered a Fosgate Prime 1000 watt amp and a couple P2 10"s

I've considered an American Bass mini 900 watt amp and a pair of XD 10"s

And I've considered a Powerbass asa1000.1xd and a set of XL 10"s

Which do you think? Other cheap options you think might work better. Remember my 5.75" max mounting depth.

Id run the xd 10s with the mini 900w
That's kind of where I was leaning. It's the cheapest option and the smallest sub stage of the three listed. I don't need much.

i also have some dd510s on a watch list. I just don't know what I want.

ewww, 38hz. :p
I did some calculations. This thing is .7 cuft per sub. There's a sad emoticon...

The port tuning is impossible for me to calculate because it shrinks and opens with the wedge of the box. With the largest port area it does tune to 38hz. The smallest port area it tunes to 20hz. That'a a median of 29hz. Not positive on the calcs though cuz of the changing port size...

I just lowballed for some AB DX10s (Not the XDs previously mentioned) and got them so I also ordered my mini AB amp. We'll see how this works. Maybe I'll just remove the back seat and throw my 3 - RD Alpha Max 15"s in there and tear this **** up.

If it is indeed .7cuft per chamber and they have a shared port that yields roughly 29hz, that port will be entirely too small for the air movement provided by those woofers. I guess you'll see how it goes but it doesn't seem too great to me as of now. lol

I added a couple more layers of resin to the box today and chased the edges of the box to make sure seams are sealed.

I started building my amp install kit. I thought I had a 4ga amp kit it storage but I'm guessing I gave it away. I've decided I'm going to use a Kicker 1/0 power wire w/ a Kicker 250amp fuse and a Knu Koncepts Kolosus 1/0 ground, then step down to 2 gauge within a foot of the amp. I found a weenie blue wire which will work perfect for a sensing wire and a set of twisted Kolosus RCA. Now all I need is a high/low converter.

Amp install kit. I've got tons or ring terminal, solder and bolts for making this happen.

Extra 1/0 (For use in the next ride I do competitions in). That roll weighs around 60lbs on the arm scale...

Changed my mind on the wiring. If I leave and have to evacuate the truck quick I'm not going to want to take the time to remove the wiring. I have a knukonceptz 4 gauge amp kit in the mail. What I did get today was:

2x American Bass D4 DX-10s(Thank goodness for the dustcap logo being sensible and not like on the site):

American Bass - DX 10

And a cute little American Bass VFL 1880 1D

American Bass - VFL 1880 1D

I also received and I'm excited to try this PAC LC-2:
I've seen this thing mentioned a couple of times and I still haven't figured out exactly what it's for. Is this a replacement bass knob? Is it even a bass knob? What's so great about it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.