Need help with a build, two 10s and one 12

Participant count
  • Participant list

Koverbover

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I built a box, the 12 is in the middle (ported) and the 10s are sealed. I just melted that 12, guess I can't hook up different sized subs to the same mono amp lol. Anyways I have a 1000w rms alpine hooked up to the 10s for now and a 500w rms 4 channel for my front components. I need another amp to run the 12, can my stock electrical ( battery, alternator) support the 2000w rms I need? 0 guage running from battery to cap, 4 guage running from cap to amps.

Attachments

• 20230916_203822.jpg
    20230916_203822.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 14
Hooking up different sized subs, can't hurt anything. Something else went wrong.

Why do you have 4awg coming off the cap? Is that 3 separate runs to each amp?

Stock batt; it should unless you're in some little import, with a little starter, and a little battery.
Stock alt,
tenor.gif

2000w of amp output / amp efficiency (which is usually about 80%), means your amp draws 2500w.

2500w / voltage (14.4) = 173 amps. So if you have the gains set to those numbers, at full volume you are drawing 173 amps. Most stock budget vehicle alts more than 10 years old are closer to 100 amps. Heavy duty pickups and new vehicles might be 150. You need to add almost 150 amps to your stock alt to cover that. A little over 100 more might work.

That's on top of what your vehicle uses. Electric fans, AC, lights, horn, turns, cig lighter, EFI, ... with all draw you will be close to what that factory alt uses. It also depends on the type of music, but you should be looking for about a 250 amp alt. (You're also going to want to do the big 3).

What was the ohm load of the 3 subs wired together? that amp is 2 ohm stable.
Seems you would be better off with a proper ported enclosure for the 10's and ditch the 12" idea.

Hooking up different sized subs, can't hurt anything. Something else went wrong.

Why do you have 4awg coming off the cap? Is that 3 separate runs to each amp?

Stock batt; it should unless you're in some little import, with a little starter, and a little battery.
Stock alt,
tenor.gif

2000w of amp output / amp efficiency (which is usually about 80%), means your amp draws 2500w.

2500w / voltage (14.4) = 173 amps. So if you have the gains set to those numbers, at full volume you are drawing 173 amps. Most stock budget vehicle alts more than 10 years old are closer to 100 amps. Heavy duty pickups and new vehicles might be 150. You need to add almost 150 amps to your stock alt to cover that. A little over 100 more might work.

That's on top of what your vehicle uses. Electric fans, AC, lights, horn, turns, cig lighter, EFI, ... with all draw you will be close to what that factory alt uses. It also depends on the type of music, but you should be looking for about a 250 amp alt. (You're also going to want to do the big 3).
Damn, need to save a bit of cash then. Thank you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...