Bridgeable 1 Channel Class A/B Monoblock Amps, Really?

Can someone explain why I’m seeing advertisements for “Bridgeable 1 Channel Class A/B Monoblock Amps?” Considering the lower power requirements per watt, and cooler running temperature of a class D amp, why would anyone even want a class A/B mono amp? And call me crazy but how do you bridge 1 channel, doesn’t it take at least 2 channels to even create a bridge?

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m old school and I haven’t kept up with latest car audio trends, in fact my old school alternator eating class A tournament amplifiers are still sitting on the shelf in the cabinet, but have things really changed that much in car audio technology? Did I miss the big technical break through where they figured out how to bridge a 1 channel amp, or are there some unscrupulous idiots out there passing off bridgeable 2 channel amps as single channel Monoblock Amps?

Yeah, sounds like bullshit to me.

I hate it when people try to advertise their amps by saying that it's bridgeable. It just draws in the noobs who are like "omgz gaiys it can be bridged that's like 25000 peak watts mang"

Some companies only list the amps as bridgeable since they come with 2 channels worth of speaker wire inputs and it helps the people understand that you can use all the terminals like a 2 channel amp but the amp is bridged internally.

Yeah, sounds like bullshit to me.
I hate it when people try to advertise their amps by saying that it's bridgeable. It just draws in the noobs who are like "omgz gaiys it can be bridged that's like 25000 peak watts mang"
Yep, I've found that even the most ignorant people who know nothing about car audio think "bridging" equals more power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.