Boss head and alpine speakers (clipping?)

Participant count
  • Participants list

ContV

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,

I have just installed a cheapish 80 Watt Boss BVCP9685A and a pair of Alpine SPR-50C (100W) in a Mercedes Sprinter using the factory wires. The crossovers are set to -4db. The problem is the speakers are clipping (or distorting?) as soon as I get to around 30% volume with the twitters sounding the worse.

I can improve the sound a bit if I set the source level at maximum (you can set the input levels for Radio/Bluetooth/etc on this Boss unit). Still, it sounds awful. I've also tested the speakers using the OEM stereo with the same result.

Why is it doing this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Could be a dirty signal causing lack of actual output power (possibly a hu/instal combo).

that boss headunit says 80x4 max which is always funny because top of the line headunits put out closer to 50x4 watts max which ends up maybe half of that or lower of clean power delivery.
Getting In the 20’s per channel on that hu is probably a stretch

So if your instal is correct it could be a small amount of Dirty wattage being delivered causing your resulting sound output. It would only be amplified as you turn up the volume to hear crackling and all that.

Relative to instal trouble shootings, You also want to make sure you are getting clean voltage from the battery. Are you tapped into the factory harness correctly? Did you check voltage at speaker inputs behind the deck (where the alpines connect to). Correct install will ensure that the voltage is maximized and transfers into output from the hu internal amp. Also check ground behind deck to ensure no interference and that all your speaker connections (speakers to crossover and crossover wire to hu are good connections)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will double-check the install as soon as I can get the door panels off. Maybe play with the input levels some more, even though it did the same when I've connected the OEM stereo to the Alpines.
Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions, I will double-check the install as soon as I can get the door panels off. Maybe play with the input levels some more, even though it did the same when I've connected the OEM stereo to the Alpines.
Cheers!
might be your factory wiring. I'd definitely add an amp and run new wires. You'd be lucky to get 10 watts per channel with that boss.

Cheers!
Possibly too
Low of power to the wrong impedance speakers. The factory deck may be optimized for 8 ohm speakers what are the ones you took out?

What year is your mercedez sprinter?. Probably could have gotten away with it if you hadn’t low budgeted on the deck (no disrespect)
It's a 2013 Sprinter with front speakers only. Got the Boss unit on sale for 150USD. With Apple Carplay and Android auto it seemed like a good deal. :)

Last edited:
It's a 2013 Sprinter. Got the Boss unit on sale for 150USD. With Apple Carplay and Android auto it seemed like a good deal. :)
It always seems like a good deal:) that unit probably won’t put a good signal to an aftermarket amp. Deal that hu and get a better one. The speakers you added should work fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.