Blew my amp fuses today. And another amp question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
I have a pioneer 9605 (5-channel) amp. It has three 30 amp fuses on one end. Today, while playing music pretty loud, the music cut out for a second or two. I thought maybe it was a glitch or something. Then about 5 minutes later, it cut out again but didn't come back. Got home and checked the fuses. The main one near the battery was fine. BUt at least two of the three on the map had blown. The third may be blown as well or close to it, hard to tell.

So, is this indicative of a more serious issue? Or is it common?

Unrelated question. I have good quality 4 gauge going to my 5 channel amp. Was thinking in the future to maybe get a better sub amp. Could I just leave the 4 gauge and run a distribution block with one feed going to my existing amp and the other to a new amp? Or do I need to run a new line from the batttery?

Were you pushing really hard when you opened those fuses? What are you powering with that amp?

If you're opening fuses you probably just need to turn it down a click and that'll never happen again. Do NOT over-fuse.

If you run another amplifier you will want to either run 1/0 gauge to a distro block with #4 outs or run another #4 from the battery back. If you're opening up fuses on an amp with 90A fusing you're drawing about as much as #4 cable can comfortably carry.

Its hard to diagnose over the internet. It could be multiple things that could cause the amp to blow fuses.

Blown speaker/Voice coil short
Loose ground/causing arc thus amp protects itself
Blown mosfet inside the amp
Blown resistors inside the amp

It goes on and on.
Replace the fuses, all three.
Power it back up.
Does it turn on or does the fuses pop?
Turns on: Set your gains properly.
Pops fuses: Check all your wiring. Power and ground to make sure you don't have a dead short.
Powers on but pops fuse once music is played.
Check all the speakers to make sure you don't have a crispy one. Check ground.

Pops fuses and everything checks out? Possibly bad amp

thanks for the info. The amp powers front 6.5/tweeter components, rear 6.5 coax's, and a 12" sub. I was pushing it to my "normal" highest level. And it was a kid rock song (don't judge hahah). I did add a new sub about 4-5 months ago and have not touched any settings/gains since then.
I replaced the three fuses and everything seems fine although I have not turned it up loud since then.
I'll take a look more closely at the power and ground but a quick look the other day seemed like it as OK.

I may replace the 4 gauge with 1/0 at some point and add another amp just for the sub. Not in a big hurry but if this happens again I will just replace the one amp with two along with the new power and ground wiring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...