Bigger sub Less Bang?

Chris716

09 A4 w stock amp & upgraded sub. Is It possible that by upgrading my stock sub to a Mephis 250w 4 ohm to end up with less bass than it had stock? It seems waaaaay worse. If so Could I actually get more base by going with a weaker sub instead of beefing up my amp (and possibly blowing out the rest of my stock speakers)? Thanks!

09 A4 w stock amp & upgraded sub. Is It possible that by upgrading my stock sub to a Mephis 250w 4 ohm to end up with less bass than it had stock? It seems waaaaay worse. If so Could I actually get more base by going with a weaker sub instead of beefing up my amp (and possibly blowing out the rest of my stock speakers)? Thanks!
Yes it is possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah factory sub was probably like 98db, memphis like 89 or so., and new subs do take a while to break in where as old sub was broke in for years i'd guess and u were used to that..

yeah factory sub was probably like 98db, memphis like 89 or so., and new subs do take a while to break in where as old sub was broke in for years i'd guess and u were used to that..

Sincerely doubt OEM/factory vehicle subs need to be "broken in". Not as stiff suspension as compared to some of the non mainstream brands avail today.

Sincerely doubt OEM/factory vehicle subs need to be "broken in". Not as stiff suspension as compared to some of the non mainstream brands avail today.
my point was it had been broken in even if it didn't need it.. the memphis may also if running off factory amp no telling how much power it's getting 50-100rms at best maybe..

my point was it had been broken in even if it didn't need it.. the memphis may also if running off factory amp no telling how much power it's getting 50-100rms at best maybe..
Nah....I don't think automakers care so much breaking in speakers/subs than selling/making the vehicle to sell to make $$.

If you are using the factory location and its not in an enclosure and its infinite baffle, then there's your main issue, You cant just hope to stick a sub into a blank open space and hope it makes bass. Aftermarket subs need a proper enclosure custom made to your sub's parameters and vehicle acoustics to perform well. Other wise its just free air not building any pressure at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.