Ram 1500 2013 car audio failure

rosanky

US
Less then 2 years ago I got a brand new sound system put in my truck by custom sounds in Austin. We went all out and bought new amplifiers, subs, door speakers, tweeters and a converter to make the sound system it's best it possible could. Within the first week I had it I know if I turned It up too loud it would cut.out the door speakers and was very annoying, it was only on certain songs too, it did this up until this incident I just started having. About a month ago my right door speaker stopped working completely, I was thinking that it might have been the speaker itself but there's no way it is because I don't have very much wattage running through the speakers to blow them out, the tweeter still works so there shouldn't be a lose connection anywhere. Fast track to now and the left speaker blew out listening to some music at a decent volume level and now all I have is tweeters and backdoor speakers and it sounds terrible. I'm not sure what the problem is, if it has to do with the amplifier if it's bad or if the wiring is bad somewhere or if the line out converter I got is junk already, I'm not sure but I can't take it back there without spending a fortune just to get them too look at it and tell me what's wrong with it. So I decided to come here and try it out any information on what y'all think or what I could do would be great, I don't know a lot about car audio but I know enough to tinker with it. Thanks in advance and here's a list of everything done to my sound system.

Focal PS165FX 6.5 component speakers

Kenwood exceleon 400-4 amp

Rockford fosgate 500-1 amp

Stock rear door speakers

LC2I converter

2 Jl audio 10w3v3-4 subs

And a supposed "perfect" audio install from custom sounds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You had a problem the first week and you didn't bring it back? That was dumb, and if the Audio Shop doesn't stand behind there work it wasn't a "perfect" install. Problem could be anything, but if its just the mids cutting out it could be a loose connection at the crossover, or yes you did blow the mid out.

also you only picked out a 500w amp for two W3s? Should have gone up to a 1000 watt amp.

distortion blows speakers no power if u have bass boosted on mids instead of hp xover or if u turn hu full blast they can blow.. it's probably the speaker, thats 1st thing to check..

You had a problem the first week and you didn't bring it back? That was dumb, and if the Audio Shop doesn't stand behind there work it wasn't a "perfect" install. Problem could be anything, but if its just the mids cutting out it could be a loose connection at the crossover, or yes you did blow the mid out.
also you only picked out a 500w amp for two W3s? Should have gone up to a 1000 watt amp.
I did bring it back and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it all and they couldn't make it cut out at all, and they only give a one year warranty so I'm prolly screwed if the actually speaker is blown itself and the amp is actually rated for 650, way more them what it says, we have it running about 200 watts per sub and it does just find on them

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

distortion blows speakers no power if u have bass boosted on mids instead of hp xover or if u turn hu full blast they can blow.. it's probably the speaker, thats 1st thing to check..
Yeah thats what I'm not hoping it is, because those speakers are very expensive lol

Lc2i was the first red flag. Door speakers cutting out and they not explaining you what your system limits are is another red flag.
Is the lc2i bad?? Never really heard anything wrong it but I don't know that much about it, I just listened to them, and yes they didn't explain at all what the limits of it where, kinda makes me mad honestly

I did bring it back and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it all and they couldn't make it cut out at all, and they only give a one year warranty so I'm prolly screwed if the actually speaker is blown itself and the amp is actually rated for 650, way more them what it says, we have it running about 200 watts per sub and it does just find on them

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Yeah thats what I'm not hoping it is, because those speakers are very expensive lol

No, your not screwed, because you Focals should also carry a 1 year warranty. Bring the car back and get it fixed, stop looking for us to fix a problem for you when you shop should be the ones to fix it.

Also subs subs are 500W Rms subs each. your giving them WAY less than what they can take. Guaranteed your likely clipping the signal to them as well.

I've had the system for 2 years so no I don't have a warranty, and I can't just bring it the shop because I'm going to college and don't have time to be without my vehicle, was just trying to get some suggestions on ways to fix it myself and the subs aren't clipping at all and are just fine, have had 0 problems with for the time I've had them, only the front door speakers.

And yes I know they are taking less then what they can take, I have it setup like that for a reason bc I like clean music, I don't like beating my music around the block like I'm 16 years old

Is the lc2i bad?? Never really heard anything wrong it but I don't know that much about it, I just listened to them, and yes they didn't explain at all what the limits of it where, kinda makes me mad honestly
It does nothing to fix the dirty signal produced by the stock head unit nor fix the built in EQ that overcompensate for the sh*itty stock speakers.

Also not having enough power and turning it up past limits is the fastest way to destroy your setup because you are clipping. Compared to having more power on tap, getting the results you desire without ever getting close to redlining the amp. Which is the reason why i have 450 watts rms going to each of my 6.5 inch speakers and 30,000 to my subwoofers and never come close to blowing them.

Now for your problem, make sure all rca and speaker connections are tight, swap the right and left side rcas to see if the right side plays right after. If it does then its a bad rca or head unit output. If it doesnt play then its a blown speaker or loose connection or a short circuit somewhere. Take out the speaker and test to see if its really blown with a multi meter

Less then 2 years ago I got a brand new sound system put in my truck by custom sounds in Austin. We went all out and bought new amplifiers, subs, door speakers, tweeters and a converter to make the sound system it's best it possible could. Within the first week I had it I know if I turned It up too loud it would cut.out the door speakers and was very annoying, it was only on certain songs too, it did this up until this incident I just started having. About a month ago my right door speaker stopped working completely, I was thinking that it might have been the speaker itself but there's no way it is because I don't have very much wattage running through the speakers to blow them out, the tweeter still works so there shouldn't be a lose connection anywhere. Fast track to now and the left speaker blew out listening to some music at a decent volume level and now all I have is tweeters and backdoor speakers and it sounds terrible. I'm not sure what the problem is, if it has to do with the amplifier if it's bad or if the wiring is bad somewhere or if the line out converter I got is junk already, I'm not sure but I can't take it back there without spending a fortune just to get them too look at it and tell me what's wrong with it. So I decided to come here and try it out any information on what y'all think or what I could do would be great, I don't know a lot about car audio but I know enough to tinker with it. Thanks in advance and here's a list of everything done to my sound system.
Focal PS165FX 6.5 component speakers

Kenwood exceleon 400-4 amp

Rockford fosgate 500-1 amp

Stock rear door speakers

LC2I converter

2 Jl audio 10w3v3-4 subs

And a supposed "perfect" audio install from custom sounds

Id start with line out converter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

not explaining you what your system limits are is another red flag.

My thoughts exactly.... very likely he blew the mids. Replace them, try again, either adjust your crossover and gains or just be a little more gentle with the volume knob.

the reason why i have 450 watts rms going to each of my 6.5 inch speakers and 30,000 to my subwoofers and never come close to blowing them.

The reason is that you know what you're doing and know the limitations of your equipment. Don't imply for a second if you only had 5K on the subs and 100W on the mids you'd blow stuff because you wouldn't because you know the warning signs.

Also don't imply that the guy who is blowing speakers with 100W on tap is not going to still crank things beyond their limits and blow them up if he doubles power. Honestly if you can't discern the distortion of mids mechanically breaking at a hard clipped 100 do you really think he's going to not break them with more power?

My thoughts exactly.... very likely he blew the mids. Replace them, try again, either adjust your crossover and gains or just be a little more gentle with the volume knob.
You think I did blow them?? I was hoping it was my amp, because that thing has been giving me problems since day one, but I was thinking I might have blown them, just was hoping I didn't blow them expensive *** things. I'm curious as to why I might have blown them? I turned the gain way down on them when I got them because the tweeters where way to crisp and hurt my ears too much, i thought they could handle the small amount of power I was putting them or maybe just something isn't set correctly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.