Big 3 upgrade for 2021 Ford F150....Fuse or not to fuse?

Hello all!

I going to be doing the Big 3 upgrade to my truck this coming weekend. I have 2/0 wire skyhigh wire OFC to run from alternator to the battery. Since this is being connected to the battery does it or should it have a fuse? I have a mechman 370 to install along with an XS power AGM to go under the hood.

What is your opinion?
The only fuse(s) you need are btween the battery and the power lead to the amp, It should be as close (within 18") of the battery. I like to run breakers near the battery, they are faster acting that fuses and easily reset with a push of a finger. I then fuse the lead near the amp too. One thing that is often overlooked is inputing a breaker (or fuse) on the negatve lead too. Using a breaker or a fuse is not about protecting the amp from surgess as much as it is about protectiong the car from poqwer wires shorting out and catching on fire due to something shorting the wire and cause it to heat up under to much voltage. Breakers and fuses are much cheaper than a fire - this is not the place to save money! When you do your big 3 upgrade, you just replace or add to the existing configuration, no need to fuse this part of the set up. From the battery to the amp, power and ground (if like me you run all your grounds back to the battery), otherwise, only btween the battery and the amp.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...