Big 3 Upgrade Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
So my new alternator is arriving tomorrow and I already have a big 3 kit ready for my. This one I bought for my Jeep and it came with additional wires for my starter and something else I forget. Anyways I don't drive my jeep and I'm not wasting these wires I've already measured them out in my mustang engine bay and they will work.

My question is the grounds. Obviously the power wire runs from the alternator post to the battery Post. But when I watch videos of the big three they usually drill a hole in the body near the wall of the engine bay and then to engine block as well for the grounds.

I don't have a way to lift up my mustang and it's too low for me to crawl under to get to the engine block ground. It's also covered in oil because they last guy who owned it made a mess in the engine bay because he forgot to put the oil fill cap on... I saw a video where a guy grounded it to the alternator mounting stud and I think I'm gonna do that. As for the other ground there's a couple of stock body grounds for the stock ground wire and all I'd have to do is take out the bolt, run the ground wire and re bolt it.

I'm probably answering my own question I just want to be extra sure, but couldn't I really use any spot on the car as long I use my multimeter to test

I'd use a stock body ground rather than drill new holes in the car. Just make sure it's good ground - ie no paint. Apply dielectric grease or silicon to any exposed metal to prevent rust. You can go from the alt to the body ground. Make sure you upgrade the ground from the battery to the body/engine. Leave the existing "big 3" and just add to it.

I'd use a stock body ground rather than drill new holes in the car. Just make sure it's good ground - ie no paint. Apply dielectric grease or silicon to any exposed metal to prevent rust. You can go from the alt to the body ground. Make sure you upgrade the ground from the battery to the body/engine. Leave the existing "big 3" and just add to it.

Ok I didn't really think it mattered because ground is ground just wanted to be. Sure. So I'll do alt to bat, batt ground to alternator mount, and another ground to the stock body ground

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...