Best Shallow Mount speakers for SPL?

tommyb995

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 21, 2019
High Prairie, Alberta
I'm looking to put a system in a 1989 GMC k1500 short box regular cab, but of course being a single cab it makes it much harder to find decent subs due to the limited space. I was thinking 4 12' shallow mounts behind the seat as there should be enough room along with some skar audio super tweets and mids and my pioneer touch screen deck from my 91 k1500. What shallow mount subs are gonna give me the highest output at a reasonable cost? I was thinking sundown sd-3's but wanted to know what options are out there

Last edited:

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
No such thing. Shallow mounts are not designed for SPL. In fact they are designed to sacrifice SPL in order to squeeze into a shallow space.
^^this^^
if "spl" or booming bass is your goal you would be better off with 8's or even 6.5's verses shallow mounts. there are some very nice shallow mounts that would be well suited for more of a sql but not spl.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
I would go with 8s for sure. Unless you really need a smaller mounting depth then I would do Sundown SD series.

OP
T

tommyb995

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 21, 2019
High Prairie, Alberta
No such thing. Shallow mounts are not designed for SPL. In fact they are designed to sacrifice SPL in order to squeeze into a shallow space.
I know that they aren't going to be near as loud as a normal subwoofer and aren't designed for SPL would but I want shallow mounts to keep the build as clean and integrated as possible, I don't want to build a blowthrough in the box or take out the bench seat. I just want to know the loudest shallow mount subs I can get.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds