Best Shallow Mount speakers for SPL?

tommyb995

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm looking to put a system in a 1989 GMC k1500 short box regular cab, but of course being a single cab it makes it much harder to find decent subs due to the limited space. I was thinking 4 12' shallow mounts behind the seat as there should be enough room along with some skar audio super tweets and mids and my pioneer touch screen deck from my 91 k1500. What shallow mount subs are gonna give me the highest output at a reasonable cost? I was thinking sundown sd-3's but wanted to know what options are out there

Last edited:
No such thing. Shallow mounts are not designed for SPL. In fact they are designed to sacrifice SPL in order to squeeze into a shallow space.
^^this^^
if "spl" or booming bass is your goal you would be better off with 8's or even 6.5's verses shallow mounts. there are some very nice shallow mounts that would be well suited for more of a sql but not spl.

No such thing. Shallow mounts are not designed for SPL. In fact they are designed to sacrifice SPL in order to squeeze into a shallow space.
I know that they aren't going to be near as loud as a normal subwoofer and aren't designed for SPL would but I want shallow mounts to keep the build as clean and integrated as possible, I don't want to build a blowthrough in the box or take out the bench seat. I just want to know the loudest shallow mount subs I can get.

I get what your asking. I also can’t stand when people take the time andcleave shitty negative comments. Anyways check out the jl audio 13tw5v2-4. It’s a specially made slim subwoofer like no other.look up the video on you tube how it’s made. Super weird design, one of a kind. It has a 7 inch voice coil that goes around the outside of the magnet not inside like normal. It’s mountind depth is only 2.625! My door spearkers are deeper the that lol. put 2 of them in your truck and you will be pounding plenty hard enough. Yeah not spl numbers of a 12 thats 1ft tall and around but you’ll be happy. Rockford Fosgate also makes a newer series of there power series t1 subwoofers in a slim design. I’ve never heard of yet but if you check the reviews people are saying that They sell as good as the full-size Hope that helped.

you know damn well what he was asking. You just Have something negative or smart assed to say on everyone’s post huh? You should just stop commenting because you come off as a total ass hat douche bag. I wouldn’t have even noticed it was you all the times I have seen a shitty comment but the picture Of tits and a bird sticks out, that and a dumbass name having to do with some looser weed garbage!for reals tho, the negstive know it all **** isn’t cool and I’ve never told anyone online to get bent.ive came close but I’ve never done becsuse i don’t want to get kicked off the site but someone has to say something to you or irs not going to stop, enough is enough. almost every ******* post has some shitty comment from you. You sir get the donkey of the year award **** donkey of the day!

you know damn well what he was asking. You just Have something negative or smart assed to say on everyone’s post huh? You should just stop commenting because you come off as a total ass hat douche bag. I wouldn’t have even noticed it was you all the times I have seen a shitty comment but the picture Of tits and a bird sticks out, that and a dumbass name having to do with some looser weed garbage!for reals tho, the negstive know it all **** isn’t cool and I’ve never told anyone online to get bent.ive came close but I’ve never done becsuse i don’t want to get kicked off the site but someone has to say something to you or irs not going to stop, enough is enough. almost every ******* post has some shitty comment from you. You sir get the donkey of the year award **** donkey of the day!

Glad I'm on your mind taking up your time! I'll try even harder to get under your thin snowflake skin if thats all it takes to set you off.

Last edited:
I believe that you would be better off using standard depth 8’s or 10’s over a shallow 12.
while I have not heard every single shallow subwoofer out there, most of them are nothing but gimmicks. Remember that most subwoofers are designed the same way for a reason.

Seems to be a lot of generalizations being thrown around...

Shallow-mount subs are designed to be...well shallow mount, not to sacrifice stroke. That's different from saying that manufactures often sacrifice stroke to accomplish a shallow-mount format, but that's not always the case.

Many conventional subs in the modest price/power range have a clean xmax around 15mm...there are also a few shallow-mount subs that have that same stroke...Alpine R-thin, JL TW3's, Sundown SD's.

Since output is essentially displacement the cone area of 4-12's with 15mm XMAX would be hard to match with 4-8's

(12) Pi x R2 x XMAX = 113.04 x 15(mm) = 1695.6

(8) Pi x R2 x XMAX = 50.24 x 33.75(mm) = 1695.6

This just compares a single 12 in relation to a single 8 (assuming all other things are equal) the XMAX of the 8 would need to be 33.75mm to match the output of a 12 with 15mm.

Glad I'm on your mind taking up your time! I'll try even harder to get under your thin snowflake skin if thats all it takes to set you off.
Trust me I do not have thin skin. I just believe in sticking up for what's right. This dude just had a simple question he asked buy you had to go and try toake him look stupid. Why? What's the point. This fourm is to help each other out. He just wants to get something that can fit in a tight space and can bump. I know exactly what he was asking. Until the last few years none of the shallow mount subs sounded good. These days there are a few good options and I'm sure you know what they are and could have easily shared that with him but instead you chore to be an ass.

Trust me I do not have thin skin. I just believe in sticking up for what's right. This dude just had a simple question he asked buy you had to go and try toake him look stupid. Why? What's the point. This fourm is to help each other out. He just wants to get something that can fit in a tight space and can bump. I know exactly what he was asking. Until the last few years none of the shallow mount subs sounded good. These days there are a few good options and I'm sure you know what they are and could have easily shared that with him but instead you chore to be an ass.

I didnt make anyone look stupid, I answered the question straight forward. Youre the one looking stupid and your skin is clearly thin because you are **** talking with these long whiny diatribes. If this forum is so awful why are you on here?

I didnt make anyone look stupid, I answered the question straight forward. Youre the one looking stupid and your skin is clearly thin because you are **** talking with these long whiny diatribes. If this forum is so awful why are you on here?
I am never on here. I was googling something this morning and it linked me to a post here. And of course you would think I'm the one whos looking stupid. That's because someone is finally had the balls to tell you to **** off with the ********. Anyways you guys have fun I have real work to be doing. I'm done waisting time talking to the O'Doyle of this fourm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.