Best double din options...

If you aren't going to get a DSP and just want a good headunit I would go with something from kenwood or alpine. Pioneer lost my buisness a long time ago with their Pico fuse crap and ground noise issues.

If you are going to use a DSP and can run optical, I would seriously look at the Joying Android headunits. I switched from a Kenwood EXcelon unit to the joying for optical and it's awesome.

Matt

If you aren't going to get a DSP and just want a good headunit I would go with something from kenwood or alpine. Pioneer lost my buisness a long time ago with their Pico fuse crap and ground noise issues.

If you are going to use a DSP and can run optical, I would seriously look at the Joying Android headunits. I switched from a Kenwood EXcelon unit to the joying for optical and it's awesome.

Matt
Ok, maybe I should know this but what exactly is optical?

Ok, maybe I should know this but what exactly is optical?

LOL, optical is basically fiber optic. Instead of transmitting the audio signal via a low voltage sine wave, the signal is transmitted as pulses of light. Obviously, you can't get electrical interference in your audio sognal when there is no electricial signal at all, so Yea it's pretty much zero induced noise. It also usually bypasses any DAC(cheaper chip) in your headunit since it's still a "digital" signal and your amp/DSP DAC(usually more expensive/better quality chip) converts it into an audio signal.

Matt

Wouldnt work for my liking. I like to run some tweets @15 and even 17k. And there is a likely of possibility of blowing some speakers if you are not careful or know what you are doing.More buttons. and pushing and trying to find to get to changing sound ect rather than a simple turn of the knob or a slider on an EQ.I dont think I could get into liking this. DSP is also time consuming for me. A single setting for all music never works. Always tuning dur to the recording of music or the device the music is on ect.Going through several screens of motion is a waste of time for me.. When i can fine tune a knob or slider on the fly. Thats me

Matt
The Pico issues did it for me too. That 99PRS was not cheap at the time I bought one and to have an issue twice with it was a large disappointment and embarrassing when a CHEAP Kenwood took its spot while being repaired and never had an issue with it. As a matter of fact .. that Cheap Kenwood still works excellent today

LOL, optical is basically fiber optic. Instead of transmitting the audio signal via a low voltage sine wave, the signal is transmitted as pulses of light. Obviously, you can't get electrical interference in your audio sognal when there is no electricial signal at all, so Yea it's pretty much zero induced noise. It also usually bypasses any DAC(cheaper chip) in your headunit since it's still a "digital" signal and your amp/DSP DAC(usually more expensive/better quality chip) converts it into an audio signal.

Matt
Gotcha. I should have known this. That is how I am running my home theater setup.

I can't get the app to connect to mine...cust serv told me to try a USB to connect...then went that didn't work politely told me I was burnt on a new deck...
I use the Microsoft Display Adapter. It allows screen mirroring which keeps the screen on. After about 20 seconds, phone screen brightness goes to it's lowest setting, but still awake. To control Pandora from the headunit, there is an app named AR Unchained Rootless. It works but is often quite a hassle.

I
I use the Microsoft Display Adapter. It allows screen mirroring which keeps the screen on. After about 20 seconds, phone screen brightness goes to it's lowest setting, but still awake. To control Pandora from the headunit, there is an app named AR Unchained Rootless. It works but is often quite a hassle.
I don't think that'd work on a single din...I might be wrong though

I'm in the market for a new head unit, I was curious what everyone's opinions were of the current "best" double din head units. I know asking what the best is of anything is kinda pointless, just hoping to get a few top suggestions so I can compare them for myself. I've always been a fan of alpine but I figured I'd try to broaden my taste a bit and be open minded to anything. I appreciate any suggestions.
Alpine HALO has a very nice display but lack remote control which I really miss more than I thought I would.

I've been really into the Sony lineup for some time now and have had very good results with them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...