Best all-around subwoofer for 150-200$

Uh he's making perfect sense to me i would never buy a sub with zero feedback from anyone anywhere no matter the ratings the voice coil size or the price. The sundowns have a proven track record i have yet to see a negative review for them ever on any forum. It is well documented the sundown is very underrated and will take alot more power than rms and more importantly sound good doing it.
Do you have a C2 sub?? I have 2 and I can tell you they handle way more than the rated RMS, and they sound great doing it, actually sound as good or better than some of my subs that cost over 3 times as much! Maybe you can post up a negative reveiw on a Threatcon 2, I have never seen one, just alot of people talking out of there azz that dont own or in reality never even have heard one.

If I was running an amp that only did 800w @1ohm and I could get a SSA GCON 3"vc rated @750wRMS or a SSA Evil 4"vc rated @3250wRMS for the same price I would get the GCON because it works best with my setup. So hopefully you're not that dumb
with that statement, it just shows how dumb you are. stick around the forum and come back to your post after a couple of months hopefully you learn a thing or two and will laugh at what you just said

So you'd like a sub that if clipped, could potentially break, if a note goes too low, could potentially break. Probably a decibel or more quieter and probably doesn't sound as good. Did I mention you have no room to upgrade? Matching numbers on the box isnt' important lol. More fair comparison is xcon to gcon. Barring box size, the Xcon is superior in every way. More powerful subs with larger coils and almost always higher motor force are just louder on the same amount of power, any power and generally sound better, especially since your not pushing them as hard. Running subs near RMS is just running them that much closer to their limit, often both thermal and mechanical. The GCon has maybe 20mm of xmax if I had to guess without looking, I'm sure the ZCON/XCON lines are over 30mm. Again, that's just more power and BL compression as well as distortion associated with both.
So basically what I've learned then is I should buy the highest rated rms sub with teh biggest vc possible and the lowest rated rms amp?

So basically what I've learned then is I should buy the highest rated rms sub with teh biggest vc possible and the lowest rated rms amp?
No what you've learned is your stupid an now your being defensive. If you don't care how speakers work that's fine, go match the numbers on the box. Congrats your one step above the kids who think their sony sub "puts out 500 watts".

If I was running an amp that only did 800w @1ohm and I could get a SSA GCON 3"vc rated @750wRMS or a SSA Evil 4"vc rated @3250wRMS for the same price I would get the GCON because it works best with my setup. So hopefully you're not that dumb
Hey I heard the Gcon 15 with 750 wats from an aq 750. I can't say what the Evil would sound like with only 750 but I can say the Gcon was BANGIN like crazy on 750 and sounded **** good doing it. It was in a custom ported box and had the perfect power. I would rather just match my sub to my amp rather than buy a sub that my amp will never power fully the way it's meant to be. But what the hell do I know lol

you know your not making any sense now right? how can a 600w sub be louder than 1200w sub
There is a lot more to getting LOUD than the size of the VC and the fkn rated rms of a speaker you moron, Ever heard of SENSITIVITY & EFFICIENCY ???!!!
You'll notice I never pushed the threatcon, I even said I've never used one and if it has build issues that's another story. My only main point was that if a speaker that is better than your other options is on sale, to not get it just because it handles more power than what you have available is dumb. Your buying an inferior speaker for the same price that won't get as loud off the power you have, nor will it leave you room to upgrade. If ssa xcons (just an ex) went down to $200 tommorow, that would be the best buy for ANYONE spending near 200 on a speaker, regardless of their amp of choice.
- The SA is STILL the BETTER reccomendation for the OP as that sub is NOT EVEN AVAILABLE !!! How in the F*ck is that the "better deal" ?! And when he goes to resell l8er he'd be totally fuct trying to resell a C2 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
Do you have a C2 sub?? I have 2 and I can tell you they handle way more than the rated RMS, and they sound great doing it, actually sound as good or better than some of my subs that cost over 3 times as much! Maybe you can post up a negative reveiw on a Threatcon 2, I have never seen one, just alot of people talking out of there azz that dont own or in reality never even have heard one.
- Way more than RMS huh? LOL the SA will handle just as much if not more than the theatcon 2 and that's a 2.5" VC opposed to your wonder sub's 3" - WTF is the point of having a bigger VC if you CAN'T EVEN FKN USE IT ???!!!

I do know a thing or two. I'm not going to say the C2 4 is a bad sub because I don't know. I'm saying a 4 inch coil has a benift, more power handling in most cases, it should anyway. I'm also saying a 4 inch coil has a drawback, add weight brings efficency down. The SA is very efficent because of its light, strong soft parts and good BL, also good cooling. That 2.5 inch coil gets louder then most 3 inch coils. That throws the whole " bigger coil is better " out the window. 4 inch coils are pointless unless you are limited in cone area and need to run a **** load of power.

I do know a thing or two. I'm not going to say the C2 4 is a bad sub because I don't know. I'm saying a 4 inch coil has a benift, more power handling in most cases, it should anyway. I'm also saying a 4 inch coil has a drawback, add weight brings efficency down. The SA is very efficent because of its light, strong soft parts and good BL, also good cooling. That 2.5 inch coil gets louder then most 3 inch coils. That throws the whole " bigger coil is better " out the window. 4 inch coils are pointless unless you are limited in cone area and need to run a **** load of power.
You guys can say what you want, one of my really good friends has a set of SA 12's and a set of IA LI 12's, 2 1/2" vs 3" voice coil with the same power rating, I have extensively listened to both, and in my opinion (we never metered them) and also his opinion the IA's get louder and they do sound better at the same power. As a matter of fact he is selling his SA 12's because of this very reason. I will also say that my C2 Threatcon 2's are just as loud and sound just as good as the SA 12's. I also know that the enclosure can make or break a sub, but the difference in a SA, LI and a C2 is very little, the enclosure itself can make the difference in these 3.

Not if they pair it with a stronger motor and a longer coil has an inherently higher BL regardless. Larger coiled speakers tend to be more effecient in the real world, period. You have higher BL, higher xmax if the coil is longer, so when things start moving BL won't drop off and lastly, lower power compression. There is no arguing this. The SA may be the overall better driver due to durability, SQ, etc, IDK anything about C2. All I'm trying to point out in general, if that a larger coil is not a drawback, hardly ever. Subs are nothing more than the overall sum of their designs, regardless of the names on the boxes. Speaking of coils, what amp did you finally decide to upgrade to?

Not if they pair it with a stronger motor and a longer coil has an inherently higher BL regardless. Larger coiled speakers tend to be more effecient in the real world, period. You have higher BL, higher xmax if the coil is longer, so when things start moving BL won't drop off and lastly, lower power compression. There is no arguing this. The SA may be the overall better driver due to durability, SQ, etc, IDK anything about C2. All I'm trying to point out in general, if that a larger coil is not a drawback, hardly ever. Subs are nothing more than the overall sum of their designs, regardless of the names on the boxes. Speaking of coils, what amp did you finally decide to upgrade to?
I havent done anything yet. I dont get back state side for 9ish more months. I'm pretty set on the M4a though if I even do anything else.

Lol when it comes to having limited power supply to your subs(from your amp)...I think you should try getting a sub with a good sensitivity of 90dbs upwards, regardless of coil size. Try getting a sub that has the same/slightly less rms rating of your current amp(unless you planning on getting a bigger amp but same principle)...but ag, I'm just a noob so take my advice with a pinch of salt lol....there are subs out there with small motors but play just as good(if not better) then other subs with bigger motors...btw I'd take the SA sub, durability is key!!! No use having an extremely loud set-up that melts, blows etc after playing it a couple of times

Lol when it comes to having limited power supply to your subs(from your amp)...I think you should try getting a sub with a good sensitivity of 90dbs upwards, regardless of coil size. Try getting a sub that has the same/slightly less rms rating of your current amp(unless you planning on getting a bigger amp but same principle)...but ag, I'm just a noob so take my advice with a pinch of salt lol....there are subs out there with small motors but play just as good(if not better) then other subs with bigger motors...btw I'd take the SA sub, durability is key!!! No use having an extremely loud set-up that melts, blows etc after playing it a couple of times
Have you seen the c2 threatcon 4? $199 free ship at this time best sub for under $200 when the sale ends this jumps up to $250

Threatcon-4-12-2T.jpg

Have you seen the c2 threatcon 4? $199 free ship at this time best sub for under $200 when the sale ends this jumps up to $250
Threatcon-4-12-2T.jpg
these subs are not even out yet and im sick of hearing about them. if they are that great im sure they will sell. you dont have to shove them down our throats everytime you jump on a thread. not trying to be a dik but dam bro let go of them nuts

So you'd like a sub that if clipped, could potentially break, if a note goes too low, could potentially break. Probably a decibel or more quieter and probably doesn't sound as good. Did I mention you have no room to upgrade? Matching numbers on the box isnt' important lol. More fair comparison is xcon to gcon. Barring box size, the Xcon is superior in every way. More powerful subs with larger coils and almost always higher motor force are just louder on the same amount of power, any power and generally sound better, especially since your not pushing them as hard. Running subs near RMS is just running them that much closer to their limit, often both thermal and mechanical. The GCon has maybe 20mm of xmax if I had to guess without looking, I'm sure the ZCON/XCON lines are over 30mm. Again, that's just more power and BL compression as well as distortion associated with both.

There are a few people/customers that struggle to understand it in the big picture. There are different directions to this debate. (if power and sub are not constants)

#1 If wattage & current supply is not an issue, headroom is a good thing to have. Always nice to have a stronger amp not working that hard, then a smaller amp working it's butt off to produce the same results while being closer to clipping. In most cases, this will lead to lower distortion, but it can't always be heard due to so many different factors in an install, so you cannot claim that as a certainty. Case in point, I would rather run an Orion 2500D at 4 ohm mono, then a Stetsom 600.1 at 1 ohm mono. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

#2 If wattage is a constant, meaning only one amplifier in discussion, and money is not a factor when choosing sub woofers, I will usually opt or suggest the larger sub woofer. Same sort of overall idea; of a smaller or lower power handling sub working close to it's upper end threshold compared to a higher powered sub woofer not breaking a sweat. Yes, there are factors of efficiency/sensitivity/power compression/Xmax etc. etc. But again, same concept as above. Run things at either higher impedances reducing current draw and possibility improving THD levels, lower power compression from larger motor stack with more cooling, lower heat from larger coil from greater surface, etc. etc. etc. are all good things for pretty much most all factors outside competition SPL.

Hence the reason why in my car I have larger formats up front running at 8 ohms stereo and a larger sub then needed running at 4 ohms mono. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.