Subwoofer recommendations

jmcinvale
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 2005 Honda CRV and would like to upgrade the subs.

I currently run two JL 12W6 subs in a dual 12" sealed box with each chamber just under 1 cu ft.

That works ok, but I know that I can do better.

The subs are powered by a JL 500/1 amp which can do 500 watts at anywhere from 1.5 to 4 ohms impedance.

My plan is to have a box built that takes up 1/2 the rear cargo area from the rear of the drivers side back seat to the door with the subs firing out the top and the three JL amps and one JBL MS-8 processor mounted on the side with a battery box mounted on the other side.

Figure that would give me a few cubic feet to work with. I can take approximate measurements of the space I have to work with tomorrow afternoon.

What subs would be good to use for SQ that will sound good from 20-150 Hz?

Would like to use two 12" subs, but if a single larger sub or more than two 12" subs would work best I'd go with that.

Cost is really not an issue as I can continue using what I have now and then save up for the better stuff.

Single beefy 15 on 3k should make you happy. Ascendant Audio Mayhem, DD 9515, HDC4, all subs that pound and could probably handle up to 4k each, more if you are careful.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Need lots of space though...

are you looking for 2 12 subs on ported? why 3 amps?
At least two 12's in a sealed box. The three amps are one for my front door speakers one for my rear door speakers and one for the subs.

Just build a sealed box 1.5 cubes each sub should sound great and get decently loud. Ported is louder but will take double the space. And the subs really shine on 500w each
So that would be a box with 1.5 cubes for each sub, right?

That I can do as I'd only have to buy one more JL 12W6 plus get the box made.

If there are any better subs for the money than the JL 12W6 I would upgrade, but if not then I'll just buy another JL 12W6

Not wanting to upgrade the amp at all as 500 watts is plenty loud enough in my CRV.

If there are any better subs for the money than the JL 12W6 I would upgrade, but if not then I'll just buy another JL 12W6

Not wanting to upgrade the amp at all as 500 watts is plenty loud enough in my CRV.

You should run 2 amps. A 4 channel for your front and rear components. As far as the subs I dont have too much experience but if you got 2 12 W6 I would runn the JL Audio HD1200/1

The w6 is one of the best sounding sub out there so if you dont want louder you dont need two subs maybe just a new box for the w6. if you dont want louder more power is kinda required.

usually more power and headroom makes the sub sound alot better at lower volumes but with the slash and hd amps im not sure how the regulated output handles input changes but I would bet it would yield better results to have more power and not have to push the amp as hard

and yes 1.5cubes per sub sealed works great. 2.5cubes each ported to 30-34hz is also great

new box new amp, no new sub. keep it simple. get a professionally built ported box custom built to specs. plenty of guys on this forum can help you out. then get a nice 1 ohm 1000rms amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.