Audiopipe APSM-1500 help, seems quiet?

zorphon
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
US
Hey all. (@av83)

So I replaced my Sony Xplod 800w max 2-channel amp with an Audiopipe APSM-1500.

My Sony amp was causing some dimming problems with my headlights but I got that fixed by resetting the ground. Now my voltage never drops below 13.7.

That being said, my new APSM-1500 hits about half as hard as my Sony Xplod, despite giving more (and cleaner) power. What gives? I set the gain with a DMM so the gain should be set perfectly, yet I have to crank it to 38 out of 50 to get as much bass as I did at 27 out of 50 on a supposedly worse amp.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='zorphon']Hey all. (@av83)

So I replaced my Sony Xplod 800w max 2-channel amp with an Audiopipe APSM-1500.

My Sony amp was causing some dimming problems with my headlights but I got that fixed by resetting the ground. Now my voltage never drops below 13.7.

That being said, my new APSM-1500 hits about half as hard as my Sony Xplod, despite giving more (and cleaner) power. What gives? I set the gain with a DMM so the gain should be set perfectly, yet I have to crank it to 38 out of 50 to get as much bass as I did at 27 out of 50 on a supposedly worse amp.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You could have a sub out of phase (hooked up - to +, and + to -), it would cause one to cancel out the other.

[quote name='zorphon']Hey all. (@av83)

So I replaced my Sony Xplod 800w max 2-channel amp with an *Audiopipe APSM-1500.*

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]found the problem

found the problem
Well multiple people suggested it and it does give more and cleaner power than the Sony, so while I appreciate your opinion on the matter it definitely shouldn't be 'worse' than the Sony.

You could have a sub out of phase (hooked up - to +, and + to -), it would cause one to cancel out the other.
Checked it, and that isn't the problem. Both subs are experiencing the same level of excursion, and I hooked up the wires the exact same way it was hooked up before into the Sony amp. (That is to say, both 8ohm SVC subs in parallel so I have two wires I twisted together going into the negative and two wires I twisted together going into positive, but I'm sure it's not out of phase I just double and triple checked).

The thing is my HU volume goes up to 50 and I tuned my gain to 40 AC volts (as per my 200rms per sub) at volume 39, and I need to turn it up to high 30s to have before what I had at high 20s, on a supposedly worse amp.

what sub/box? did you get the gain on the sony in the same wa you set the audiopipe?
Erm, not entirely. The Sony was installed by a shop... But either way it was about twice as loud as the AP.

What tone did you set your gain with? +/- db's of the track make a big difference.
50hz 0db, or at least I'm fairly sure it was 0db. Do you have a link to any other 0db 50hz tracks I can try to test it with?

*edit*

I'm going to go check it with a 50hz test tone I just downloaded from here (http://www.realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm) brb with results.

*edit again*

As a positive the one thing about this amp is after redoing the ground and installing this new amp I get little to no voltage drop at full tilt and no light dim whatsoever. It's just it hits so quiet...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.