Audiopipe APSM-1500 help, seems quiet?

This is so sig worthy it's not even funny.
While the AP is only marginally better than your old XPlode, was the Sony a 2 ohm or 4 ohm amp? I don't know much about them. If it is, you were probably getting more power @ 4 ohms with the Sony. Whereas the AP is onyl doing what... maybe 300-400w on a pair of 8 ohm subs?

I would suggest you double check the phase again though. Just because they are moving similarly, doesn't mean they are in phase. Just unhook one sub and see if it get louder.
Yes, it is definitely sig worthy, lol.... However, since you don't know much about sony xplode, it's not really fair to say it's only "marginally better". It is far superior to an xplode. I'm pretty sure he'll be getting much more out of the apsm than he did out of his old amp, even at 4 ohms,. I'm think he just has the gain a bit low, is all.

@TaylorFade @av83
Well I just checked the phase again and it's hooked up the exact same way as it was before on the Sony, both blue speaker wires (blue being positive) are parallel in one positive and the other two speaker wires for negatives are parallel into a negative.

*Edit* Would a Hifonics HFi1000.1d hit harder? I have one sitting here that I was going to return but if this APSM-1500 amp is going to be so quiet...

It's too quiet because you set the gain with a 0 dB test tone. This was already pointed out and it seems you didn't take the advice seriously. You've robbed yourself of output by a) not using an attenuated test tone b) probably not turning the volume up high enough. Reset the gain using a -5 dB test tone. If that doesn't get you the output you want redo the gain with the volume bumped up a few clicks.

It's too quiet because you set the gain with a 0 dB test tone. This was already pointed out and it seems you didn't take the advice seriously. You've robbed yourself of output by a) not using an attenuated test tone b) probably not turning the volume up high enough. Reset the gain using a -5 dB test tone. If that doesn't get you the output you want redo the gain with the volume bumped up a few clicks.
Yep.

No need to be snarky with me. I took the advice completely seriously. I don't have access to my vehicle right now because a family member is using it as he just arrived in town and I don't want him to waste his money on a rental. Tonight I'll get my car back and reset the gain with a -5 dB tone, I already have it ready to go to test it. I was just making conversation and asking questions in the meantime, for how do you learn if you do not seek the knowledge?

Again, I don't know where you got the impression that I didn't take the advice seriously. Just because suggestions were made doesn't mean the knowledge seeking stops there. I will be redoing the Gain later tonight, thanks? I will try out your suggestions, and post back with results.

You were probably running the sony bridged @ 4 ohm which would get a good amount of power (6-700w) on the ****** 2 channel, running the AP at 4 ohm mono isnt taking advantage of 1/4 the power its capable of.

[quote name='I Like Waffle']You were probably running the sony bridged @ 4 ohm which would get a good amount of power (6-700w) on the ****** 2 channel, running the AP at 4 ohm mono isnt taking advantage of 1/4 the power its capable of.[/QUOTE]

@av83
The Sony bridged is only rated at 340w RMS @ 4ohm.

Also I did a 50hz at -5dB track and redid the gain. I was shooting for 40v AC because I have two 200 RMS subs but the closest I could get was like 40.1-40.2, is that fine? The thing is super touchy.

I did it based on volume 40 (80% of HU volume), and at volume 37 A Milli now sounds way louder than last night when I originally did the gain. It now shakes my seatbelt and stuff. So I'm definitely pleased. My batt is about 14v with everything off, and on full tilt (39-40 volume) it drops to 13.5 at the very lowest. So on stock electrical I have no more dimming like before.

Anyway about the voltage thing, is 40.2 fine?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='zorphon']@av83
The Sony bridged is only rated at 340w RMS @ 4ohm.

Also I did a 50hz at -5dB track and redid the gain. I was shooting for 40v AC because I have two 200 RMS subs but the closest I could get was like 40.1-40.2, is that fine? The thing is super touchy.

I did it based on volume 40 (80% of HU volume), and at volume 37 A Milli now sounds way louder than last night when I originally did the gain. It now shakes my seatbelt and stuff. So I'm definitely pleased. My batt is about 14v with everything off, and on full tilt (39-40 volume) it drops to 13.5 at the very lowest. So on stock electrical I have no more dimming like before.

Anyway about the voltage thing, is 40.2 fine?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

:DGlad to hear it's sounding better! Being a tenth off doesn't really matter at all. All that matters is whether there is distortion. The bass should be tight and smooth, no "sloppiness" to it. Your amp will produce different wattage at different frequencies. Being spot on, at any given frequency when using a dmm, doesn't really matter.

:DGlad to hear it's sounding better! Being a tenth off doesn't really matter at all. All that matters is whether there is distortion. The bass should be tight and smooth, no "sloppiness" to it. Your amp will produce different wattage at different frequencies. Being spot on, at any given frequency when using a dmm, doesn't really matter.
How should it sound and what's sloppiness?

How should it sound and what's sloppiness?
Have you ever heard a sub distorting? Distortion happens well before your ears can hear it anyways, so if i hear it, i turn the gain down until i can't... and then a hair more.

Have you ever heard a sub distorting? Distortion happens well before your ears can hear it anyways, so if i hear it, i turn the gain down until i can't... and then a hair more.
I know what distorting is, you said it should be tight and smooth, and not sloppy, whats tight and smooth and not sloppy? How would you best describe tight and smooth?

Ok so 40.2 can't damage my subs at all? And not having heard enough systems to judge if it's tight and smooth I don't know if it sounds right or not... o_O.

I know what distorting is, you said it should be tight and smooth, and not sloppy, whats tight and smooth and not sloppy? How would you best describe tight and smooth?
Clean and accurate low-frequency reproduction. If you turn it up and it begins to sound, in any way, unlike how it sounded as it did at lower volumes.

Ok so 40.2 can't damage my subs at all? And not having heard enough systems to judge if it's tight and smooth I don't know if it sounds right or not... o_O.
It shouldn't. You have a sealed box, too, right? If so, you are definitely fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.