Are there any 18" subs around $200 that can take ~1kW?

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I'm at my aunt and uncle's, but I wanted to ask now because of potential upcoming sales.

I want to do a cheap, cone area build behind the third row in my van. I've got an amp that can do ~900W @ 2 ohms. I had my eye on one HDS315, but i took some rough measurements and i realized I could cram an 8.5 cube (gross) box back there. More than enough for a single ported 15, but probably not enough for two. A 18" would work though. Unfortunately theres no 18" in the HDS300 line and the HDC318 is twice the price (for more sub than i need). Anything out there like this?

Sa18's are $199
Awesome! I looked briefly and it seemed they were around $320, but https://www.caraudiobargain.com has them for $199 w/ free shipping. I'm not familiar with that site, but it's listed as an online distributor on Sundown's website.

sound integrity 18s. Not sure if mach5 have their 18s anymore.
I was looking into these, but it looks like they discontinued them after their closeout sale.

Right now the both the FU750-18 and the SA-18 are looking pretty solid. The SA has an RMS rating of 600W, but I'm sure people put a hell of a lot more on them. Do you think it could take ~900W (probably less than that realistically)?

SA line can handle power very well.

Give me that SA sub and i'll run it on a 2k amp without worry.

Just to give you an idea of how possible it is. It's not rocket science, just don't use numbers as your guide to safety. Use your senses.

SA line can handle power very well.
Give me that SA sub and i'll run it on a 2k amp without worry.

Just to give you an idea of how possible it is. It's not rocket science, just don't use numbers as your guide to safety. Use your senses.
I thought you were pulling my leg, but apparently these things get abused all the time.
I found one of Jacob's posts: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/498135-how-much-power-can-sa-12-handle.html#post7395609

They threw 8K at one for a burp (something I would never try, but it's still impressive). He also fed it a 60Hz tone for a few minutes a couple hundred over rated. The worst I would do to it is blast some Decaf, but even that isn't as taxing as a straight sinewave for minutes on end.

I think I want one of these things.

I thought you were pulling my leg, but apparently these things get abused all the time.
I found one of Jacob's posts: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/498135-how-much-power-can-sa-12-handle.html#post7395609

They threw 8K at one for a burp (something I would never try, but it's still impressive). He also fed it a 60Hz tone for a few minutes a couple hundred over rated. The worst I would do to it is blast some Decaf, but even that isn't as taxing as a straight sinewave for minutes on end.

I think I want one of these things.
Do it. You will not see them for 200 dollars new ever again. Next year's black friday will probably be hiked up to 219 or 209 at lowest.

Do it. You will not see them for 200 dollars new ever again. Next year's black friday will probably be hiked up to 219 or 209 at lowest.
I'm so tempted. I'm going to sleep on it and if they're still available later I'll probably get one.

I've been playing around in Torres. I didn't realize just how much volume I'd lose with port displacement. Here's a rough figure to see if an 18 is still feasible:

Ucakrxo.png

I think this gives me enough port area with a good enough ratio to prevent noise. I don't really know what I'd tune it to. Sundown recommends 35Hz on their site, that's probably fine. I could go lower by lengthening the port, but going down to 32Hz like that drops me down to 5 cubes (before subtracting a bit for the sub). It sounded like the FU sub would prefer a larger box than the SA. Now that I've crunched the numbers it seems like the FU might be out.

In a pinch I could run partially external aeros like foghorns, but that might look kinda ghetto.

foghorn.jpg

If anyone sees any major errors in the calculations, has ways to improve it, or just has two cents to contribute to the topic, please do.

I'm so tempted. I'm going to sleep on it and if they're still available later I'll probably get one.
I've been playing around in Torres. I didn't realize just how much volume I'd lose with port displacement. Here's a rough figure to see if an 18 is still feasible:

If anyone sees any major errors in the calculations, has ways to improve it, or just has two cents to contribute to the topic, please do.[/b]
With the sundown, I'd keep port area per cubic feet around 13.00-15.00. 17.44 is a bit too much. If its just port noise, you'll even get away with less port area. Make sure you put in 1 on the # of extra baffles because you are gonna need it. Along with adding in .17 for the displacement of the SA 18.

stated here SA-18 D4 - Sundown Audio 18" 600W Dual 4-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer

FYI, the displacement of the FU750 .26 according to their manual. Sub's a good bit larger than the sundown lol.

With the sundown, I'd keep port area per cubic feet around 13.00-15.00. 17.44 is a bit too much. If its just port noise, you'll even get away with less port area. Make sure you put in 1 on the # of extra baffles because you are gonna need it. Along with adding in .17 for the displacement of the SA 18.
stated here SA-18 D4 - Sundown Audio 18" 600W Dual 4-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer

FYI, the displacement of the FU750 .26 according to their manual. Sub's a good bit larger than the sundown lol.
Thanks, that seems more inline with what people have suggested. I used this calculator to come to that number, but it doesn't even ask for the size of the box: Car Audio - PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES Taking an inch or so off the width to bring it inline with your recommendation lets me tune lower without making a super long port.
A double baffle is a great idea and something I completely overlooked having never made a box for a sub this size.

I came across the page you linked when looking for specs, but it looks like they pulled the SA-15 specs: SA Series (look under "Enclosure Recommendations". That would explain the discrepancy.

I'm trying to find the T/S parameters, specs, and other useful info, but this is all I've found so far:

I might have to email Sundown.
Thanks again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.