AQ2200D will I need more?

Ninesvnsicks
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey everyone right now as you can see in my signature I have a stock alt (around 136amps) and a yellow top battery running my 4ch and AQ1200D with no problems. I plan on upgrading to an AQ2200D to give my subs the power they crave so I'm just wondering if you guys think I will need to upgrade to a HO Alternator or if I would need a 2nd battery?

at the price it is going to cost me to upgrade I'm almost thinking about maybe selling my sundowns and going with a couple subs that will work better with my aq1200d.

well, youre not going to see the full wattage out of that amp off the stock alternator. I have my aq 2200 at .5 ohm off a stock 90 amp alternator with 0 guage to the secondary kinetik hc2000 battery. Voltage drops no lower than the mid 12's
Your running a 2200d off just a 90 amp alt at .5?

Your running a 2200d off just a 90 amp alt at .5?
Yes, I know I need a ho alternator but its around $650 for the one i want. Im just saving up for it. But for my point being, if my voltage goes no lower than the mid 12's with my stock 90 amp alternator and a second battery, yours will be a lot better. You need a good 75 amps per 1000 watts. I think you should try it with a good secondary battery and if you still see a bad drop, get a ho alt.

Yes, I know I need a ho alternator but its around $650 for the one i want. Im just saving up for it. But for my point being, if my voltage goes no lower than the mid 12's with my stock 90 amp alternator and a second battery, yours will be a lot better. You need a good 75 amps per 1000 watts. I think you should try it with a good secondary battery and if you still see a bad drop, get a ho alt.
ok thats what I was going to try I just made the first step in upgrading which is listing my aq1200d on craigslist haha. I'm aiming for an xs power D1200 for the 2nd battery says it can handle up to 3000 watts as a 2nd isn't too bad of price at $200 so hopefully soon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Wish the compartments under the back seats were bigger would be awesome to stick the batt there.

Yea, if your Big 3 is good, and you add a good second batt, you should be okay. You deff wont get full power out of it, since they are pretty inefficient, but you will be okay, until you can upgrade. I plan on doing something similar, though my stock alt was 85 amps and I have upgrade to 120 amps. Lol.

Ditch those subwoofers.

If you 'need' 2000+ watts to give the subs "the power they need", you bought the wrong woofers. If you honestly think about it; don't you think it's kinda ridiculous that someone would need a $600 alternator just so they can supply the amount of current needed by the amp's power supply? In addition, you're probably going to spend hundreds on fire hose power wire and perhaps a battery or two...all so the amp can make 'rated power' and not fry the power supply. If you need that kinda power, you bought the subs you WANTED and not the subs you needed.

...it all seems like a waste of money if you ask me.

I'd look into more efficient subwoofers (lighter cones) and keep your current amp rather than spending over $500 just to upgrade your electrical system so you can use a 2kW amp. Image Dynamics IDMAX is the 1st thing that comes to mind.

Ditch those subwoofers.
If you 'need' 2000+ watts to give the subs "the power they need", you bought the wrong woofers. If you honestly think about it; don't you think it's kinda ridiculous that someone would need a $600 alternator just so they can supply the amount of current needed by the amp's power supply? In addition, you're probably going to spend hundreds on fire hose power wire and perhaps a battery or two...all so the amp can make 'rated power' and not fry the power supply. If you need that kinda power, you bought the subs you WANTED and not the subs you needed.

...it all seems like a waste of money if you ask me.

I'd look into more efficient subwoofers (lighter cones) and keep your current amp rather than spending over $500 just to upgrade your electrical system so you can use a 2kW amp. Image Dynamics IDMAX is the 1st thing that comes to mind.
Hmmmm, this is a ridiculous comment, but the iDMax is a great sub...

I ran my 2200@.5ohm and a nine.2 off a stock 130amp alt and 2 deka9a31's and during heavy playing I would hover in the mid 13's.. Even during tones I would stay well into the high 12's. But every car is different. P.S u will love the 2200 it is a beast.

you do not need a ho alt, I'm running a dtr2200 with a second Batt and never go below 13 volts. Can't run it at full tilt at idle but a ho alt isn't gonna perform at that rpm either. Like said above big 3, good front and rear batt and you'll be fine. Oh yeah alt is a 110

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.