Buzzing noise through car speakers after installing second amp for speakers.

matinm90
10+ year member

usa
Hi guys, so up until now I only had one amp for my subs and my speakers were running through my receiver. So now I have a separate amp for my speakers, the power for both amps is just one wire from the battery into a power block and of course one wire for each amp, the main wire is hidden in the trim on the left side of the vehicle, and both amps are connected on the left side as well, the RCA cables are also on the left side. I'd say they are maybe 7-10 inches to the power wire coming from the battery. The ground wire is connected underneath a bolt in the rear, so the third row seat has a long metal thing at the base of the seats, and both grounds for the amps are along the same metal rail -idk what to call it, BUT at different points on this rail, and finally as for the receiver that is just grounded like any other receiver, the one that comes out from the harness, nothing special, now this is the interesting thing when the engine is off, I hear a slight buzz but it isn't that bad, when the engine is on the noise is much worse. Any thoughts? Btw I think I've proved it's not an alternator issue. And thanks guys.

step one, move rcas to other side of vehical

step two, make a hole new ground on a nice thick piece of metal, make sure to spend time to get it down to bare metal

step three, ground both amps in the same spot.

step 4 **********

step 5 get back into the car, and if the noise hasn't gone away which it should have, then buy ground loop isolators, quick and easy fix.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

step 4 master-bait

The pico fuse is in the Pioneer head units and tends to pop if you don't cut all power going to the head unit while messing around with the RCAs. If you hot swap the RCAs with the head unit on, it further increases your risk of blowing the pico. Do you have a Pioneer HU?

Double check to make sure your grounds for both amps are grounded to a spot where there is no paint. It should be a 100% metal, clean surface. You should also have your RCA cables running on the opposite side of the power cable(s). Audio cables - power cables; keep them away from each other. The power running through the power cables cables can literally "jump" into the audio cables if they're running next to each other. Which is why when you start your car, it gets louder - there's more power when you start your car = more noise. This is also true when start your car, keep your system on with the volume all the way down and the "hissing" sound fluctuates with the gas pedal, almost matching it.

Or if the OP has a Pioneer HU, he probably blew the Pico fuse.
Yes this happened to me after the seat ripped the RCA wire from the plug //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif do you have a Pioneer HU OP?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.