any recommendation for a first time audio setup?

I have the Apine headunit that was recommended. It works great for me, because my amps are actively crossed over.
The point I disagree about is tuning. If your amps aren't active, don't get that headunit.

I do agree that you should buy cheap crap and learn how to do things.

When you install things and do it yourself, you get a feel for the equipment. You are less likely to damage things while listening to music. If you understand what damages things, you will be less likely to break gear.
Either the headunit has to be active capable or the amp.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to learn and research. It looks like I have approximately 700 watts to spare from my alternator. It's 100 amp, 12 volt. I looked into the wiring, it doesn't look too hard, unsure how to ground exactly. Just find metal? The amp will be in my trunk. Guessing the metal bracket for the spare tire might work? Seems like 700 watts could do fine for my needs. Maybe get a 500 watt sub then two 100 watt front speakers. Could throw a couple of tweeters in my car already has them in the front so I could upgrade them.

What is the difference between active and passive? is one easier?

Yes, passive is easier. Passive crossovers usually come with the component speakers. Both tweeter and midwoofer plug into it. They're specifically designed for the tweet/mid they come with. I am pretty sure you will be fine going passive. Active just means you're not using the crossovers that may've come with the speakers and instead using the crossover on the amp or your HU. Active allows for more flexibility for your x-over points and slopes. Most of the time, if the x-over is designed right, it works just fine. High end components come with pretty ****** x-overs and mids/tweets blend together perfectly. You can do a 1000 watt system. There are other factors that come into play, so you probably will never use full amplifier power even if you have 1000 watts of amps on paper.

Most mid-grade components handle 100 watts of power or less, so you'll need an amp that does roughly 80w x 4 into 4 ohms. You will have many sub/amp options, but the box will be your focus. It will dictate how musical the sub stage is and how much output it has for the most part. Really, anything with lower power handling from ssaudio.com will be a good fit for you. Pretty much will be a matter of what looks best and what fits your price range.

Cool. I didn't understand everything but I'll use this info for reference when I do. When you say 1000 watts does that mean RMS? So I need a 4 channel amp then another separate amp just for my sub?

Cool. I didn't understand everything but I'll use this info for reference when I do. When you say 1000 watts does that mean RMS? So I need a 4 channel amp then another separate amp just for my sub?
Yes, separate would be best. On any forum, whenever wattage is mentioned, you can always assume it's RMS.

However, if an amp from Sonicelectronix has "1000 watts" printed on it, you can safely bet that is a max rating. Expect less than 500 out of it
That's a blanket statement and is untrue. It doesn't matter where the amp comes from, the sites usually print manufacturer specs. Some manufacturers inflate, some don't. Sonic sells JBL, MTX, Alpine, RF, JL, cerwin-vega, and image dynamics. Buying those, I full expect the items to do at least what's printed in the spec.

Sonic also sells boss and PA among others, those specs are inflated.

That's a blanket statement and is untrue. It doesn't matter where the amp comes from, the sites usually print manufacturer specs. Some manufacturers inflate, some don't. Sonic sells JBL, MTX, Alpine, RF, JL, cerwin-vega, and image dynamics. Buying those, I full expect the items to do at least what's printed in the spec.
Sonic also sells boss and PA among others, those specs are inflated.
If there's a number printed on the amp, it's usually max. However, sonic does sell DC now. I'll give you that

No to the sub/box combo.

I'd buy one sub that's better quality and put it in a ported box, honestly.

Purely my thoughts, other people may disagree

No to the sub/box combo.
I'd buy one sub that's better quality and put it in a ported box, honestly.

Purely my thoughts, other people may disagree
This has been a source of confusion for me. I picked sealed because I primary listen to power/speed metal with a lot of double bass. I was told sealed was better for that. The reason for the matched enclosure is simply because I don't understand how to get a matched enclosure for a sub.

This has been a source of confusion for me. I picked sealed because I primary listen to power/speed metal with a lot of double bass. I was told sealed was better for that. The reason for the matched enclosure is simply because I don't understand how to get a matched enclosure for a sub.
Ported is better for anything you listen to. Someone can design you a box. Never buy a prefab even if it's a loaded one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.