any recommendation for a first time audio setup?

I do not know much about car stereos at all and I'm going to pay someone to install it most likely. I rarely listen to rap, mostly rock and metal. I have a toyota camry and am wanting to completely upgrade the stereo system. Can I get something that will be decent for around $1,500 including the install? Could anyone recommend what type of parts I need?

You'd like to do this on your stock electrical, correct? Also, do you need it to be really loud or are you looking for more of sound quality system where you can hear every single note in detail and bass is clean and tight?

I can help , goals and power desired ? Also 1 or 2 subs ? You'll need subs a box wires. Speakers amps and a deck install shouldn't more than 2-$300 at most

I play drums and I guess the most important thing is clean double bass that doesn't get distorted but I do like it loud. Not sure if I want two subs, I don't know what is better. If I can get the install for only $300 sounds like I can do pretty good. Is that really realistic though if I'm upgrading all the stock speakers, adding amps, a sub, and a new head unit? I heard the enclosure for the sub is very important. It's really the amplifiers that confuse me. Can I get one that will be loud and power everything or do I need two?

I play drums and I guess the most important thing is clean double bass that doesn't get distorted but I do like it loud. Not sure if I want two subs, I don't know what is better. If I can get the install for only $300 sounds like I can do pretty good. Is that really realistic though if I'm upgrading all the stock speakers, adding amps, a sub, and a new head unit? I heard the enclosure for the sub is very important. It's really the amplifiers that confuse me. Can I get one that will be loud and power everything or do I need two?
A good setup will play anything good. Most important part is tuning. You need a way to tune. That's where the money goes, that's what separates ok from great.

A good setup will play anything good. Most important part is tuning. You need a way to tune. That's where the money goes, that's what separates ok from great.
Not sure what that means, is that something the amp does or do you mean something like an equalizer in the head unit?

Can i make a small suggestion as i usually tell all the new guys ive met.

Try and go the cheapest as possible for your first setup and learn to install everything yourself.

Once you have completed your first install then upgrade each peice one by one.

You will spend less then 1500$ on a basic setup then upgrades after.

Just dont cheap out on the wiring, go as big as possibly can fit so when doing future upgrades you can do less work.

Going to a shop you will spend double for anything you do.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Can i make a small suggestion as i usually tell all the new guys ive met.
Try and go the cheapest as possible for your first setup and learn to install everything yourself.

Once you have completed your first install then upgrade each peice one by one.

You will spend less then 1500$ on a basic setup then upgrades after.

Just dont cheap out on the wiring, go as big as possibly can fit so when doing future upgrades you can do less work.

Going to a shop you will spend double for anything you do.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
best advice here

It just seems overwhelming to me. I don't even know where to start. Is there a good noobie guide somewhere? I mean just physically installing things I could probably figure out but it seems there is a lot to it when you're working with amps and what will fit in your car. Would probably help if I knew someone who could show me in person but I don't.

no it just SOUNDS overwhelming.dont get defeated with "i cant do it" before you even start.time to start researching and ALWAYS remember to make solid grounds that wont come loose on any equipment before making hot connections.less chance of blowing stuff up this way.the interwebs has a lot of useful info at your disposal.research and doing it yourself will most certainly payoff instead of relying on someone else to do it which it might be a half azz job.take pride in your work and get your hands dirty.you'll be glad you did.

i would look at a pioneer 80prs or a alpine hd149bt for the headunit.both units have a lot of tuning options....find out what size your alternator is and that will determine how much power you can run.

I think if you're to do it yourself, you should first watch/help someone who knows what they're doing. Last thing you want to do is spend over a grand and see it go in flames due to installation error.

I do recommend getting the Pioneer 80PRS. It will give you the ability to tune the sound of your system to what you like. With a properly built box, you can get loud and have it sound good with around 1200 watts. I absolutely recommend 2 amps. One 2 or 4 channel one to run the mids/highs and the other to run the subwoofer. Checkout the selection of subs at ssaudio.com. Additionally, look at TC-sounds drivers at parts-express.com, as well as B2 audio. You should find out how much current your alternator can supply first though. Getting a good set of component speakers will be paramount. Component means the midwoofer and the tweeter are separate. Check out these:

B2 Audio Reference 6.1 Component Set - Xplicit Audio

You may also want to message @CSCSstang as he builds very good enclosures. You can discuss with him how much room you're working with, what sound you're going for, etc. You may or may not want to get rear speakers. A lot of people here only have 2 speakers in the front.

I have the Apine headunit that was recommended. It works great for me, because my amps are actively crossed over.

The point I disagree about is tuning. If your amps aren't active, don't get that headunit.

I do agree that you should buy cheap crap and learn how to do things.

When you install things and do it yourself, you get a feel for the equipment. You are less likely to damage things while listening to music. If you understand what damages things, you will be less likely to break gear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.