head unit or Amp crossover

CAPTAINJEH
10+ year member

I was wondering do most folks set their head unit to no crossovers or anything like that on it to off then strictly use the amp crossovers? Seems like you could go either way, set amp to full range and use head unit or the opposite. I haven't tested which one sounds better yet just wondering how the majority of people set these things up. I'm new to this.

Thanks, Jason

ok thanks so outside of the fact the amp is continuisly variable it doesn't really matter which one I use? thought there might be a quality issue with one being a better choice than the other.

You have to read the specs on the amp. Standard x-overs are 12db/octave. Some amps have 24db x-overs, which just means it cuts off past the x-over point twice as fast. If it says amp has a continuously variable x-over, that means you can set it at the point you want, where as on most HU's you'll have the option, for example to either do 80Hz or 100Hz and nothing in between.

One good thing about using the HU Crossovers is that you can adjust it from the drivers seat. I usually use the HU Crossovers. I have a Kenwood DDX719 Double DIN in my Camaro. 3 sets of Pre-Outs. I set the main amps to the full range setting and the sub amps to the highest it's crossover will go (IIRC 250hz). Use the HU Crossovers. Some HU will also have adjustable slopes (The Kenwood DDX719 does, 12, 18, 24db). As well as other settings, Q, Phase (although some amps have phase control too). Again, a great benefit using the HU is adjustable from the drivers seat. On The Kenwood DDX719, all 3 Pre-Outs are adjustable in 10db increments.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.