Any Experience With CT Subs?

Bobbytwonames
5,000+ posts

Trigger Man!
Vegas
I'm thinking of changing the 8's in my truck and have it down to these two. The American Bass HD8 (400 rms?) and the CT Sounds Meso 8 (800 rms). I currently have the newer VFL8 (600 rms). I really like the looks of the CT and the 165 oz. motor but I don't know anybody who has experience with them. The AB has a 150 oz. motor. The amp is a Sundown SIA3500 to power 4 subs. Any thoughts?

20211128_231157.jpg

Screenshot_20211128-230505_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211128-230538_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Consider the SSA F8L's as well. Those are a solid 8" all around. Plus a recone is 75 bucks should you need it which is a nice option to have in the future vs those AB.

Been hearing good things about the new Hippo line as well

And can't forget the Ampere line either

Consider the SSA F8L's as well. Those are a solid 8" all around. Plus a recone is 75 bucks should you need it which is a nice option to have in the future vs those AB.

Been hearing good things about the new Hippo line as well

And can't forget the Ampere line either

I looked at all of those. I narrowed it down to the CT Meso and AB HD8. Some of the other ones cost too much or had small motors and voice coils.

I looked at all of those. I narrowed it down to the CT Meso and AB HD8. Some of the other ones cost too much or had small motors and voice coils.
Tough choice. They’ll probably be very similar in how they sound when compared side by side. Not sure what your box specs are now, but the CT is going to want around .5 cubes @35-38 HZ port tuning. I did a ton of boxes in my S10 and I did like the downfired configuration best. A downfired box with a plexiglass window in it would be neato.

A forum member sent me a CT sub to try to repair a few years back and the glue holding the motor together had failed and the slugs and top plate had shifted. The rest of it didn't look all that hot either. I would consider them extremely low end as far as catalog cookie cutter Chinese fare.

Tough choice. They’ll probably be very similar in how they sound when compared side by side. Not sure what your box specs are now, but the CT is going to want around .5 cubes @35-38 HZ port tuning. I did a ton of boxes in my S10 and I did like the downfired configuration best. A downfired box with a plexiglass window in it would be neato.
Yep. That's why i said do four down firing tens. After looking at the pics he's still got a couple of inches he can add at the bottom. He didn't acknowledge my post so I'm guessing he's wanting to stay with eights and the box the way it is. I say Sundown X 8"s. Then SSA F8L. If I had to choose between the CT and the AB then I'd go with the CT

A forum member sent me a CT sub to try to repair a few years back and the glue holding the motor together had failed and the slugs and top plate had shifted. The rest of it didn't look all that hot either. I would consider them extremely low end as far as catalog cookie cutter Chinese fare.

These are the second version of the CT Meso 8. I think they came out in 2020 or 2021. I've watched some good videos of them.

Yep. That's why i said do four down firing tens. After looking at the pics he's still got a couple of inches he can add at the bottom. He didn't acknowledge my post so I'm guessing he's wanting to stay with eights and the box the way it is. I say Sundown X 8"s. Then SSA F8L. If I had to choose between the CT and the AB then I'd go with the CT

I don't want to build a new box. I like the F8L I just haven't seen two many videos of them. The X's cost too much for me. I've even thought about three HD10's in the same box.

That's a decently large Vas for an 8, that's the first thing that stood out to me. I wish they gave actual full t/s. Those specs look pretty good, though, to me. I would like to see what the Qms, Cms, and Rms is with a Vas like that, a ~35 hz Fs, and a 2.5" VC. Do they give a ported box recommendation for these?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...