2019 Acura RDX

Icecube91

Senior VIP Member
I have a 2019 Acura RDX a-spec and was looking to add a nice sound quality subwoofer. I currently have a JL audio tw3 12" in the prowedge box running off alpine PDX M6 amp. It's a little too boomy and loud for me.

What I'm looking for is a nice blend of smooth bass like you get a high end tv sound bar where the bass is not over powering and as you turn up the volume the vocal and bass blends in nicely.

I was thinking of selling the setup I have as it's too much and get a 6.5" subwoofer thinking if kicker comprt 6.75" or JL audio 6w3v3 and run 150rms. Another idea was my SUV has 6.5" stock sub would I be able to take my stock sub and just put a JL audio 6w3v3 and run it off my stock amplifier. Doing this would I get more clean and deeper bass?

prowedge box

as you turn up the volume the vocal and bass blends in nicely.
Is that a sealed box?
I would try turning down the gain on your amp with the system you have now. Make sure you don't have any bass boost on. I would think that system should already be fairly flat and smooth if set properly

I was thinking of selling the setup I have as it's too much and get a 6.5" subwoofer Doing this would I get more clean and deeper bass?
Going from a 12 to a 6.5 you'd have 1/3 the cone area you have now.
With the wattage you gave you would have less than 1/2 power. Naturally the sub would be much quieter.
The sub you have now has a frequency response down to 24 hz
The Jl 6w3v3 frequency response is down to 30 hz. Meaning the 12 will play "deeper" than a 6.5
What's the rest of your system look like?
Door speakers? Head unit?

Is that a sealed box?
I would try turning down the gain on your amp with the system you have now. Make sure you don't have any bass boost on. I would think that system should already be fairly flat and smooth if set properly

Yes the box is a factory sealed box from JL audio.

Going from a 12 to a 6.5 you'd have 1/3 the cone area you have now.
With the wattage you gave you would have less than 1/2 power. Naturally the sub would be much quieter.
The sub you have now has a frequency response down to 24 hz
The Jl 6w3v3 frequency response is down to 30 hz. Meaning the 12 will play "deeper" than a 6.5
What's the rest of your system look like?
Door speakers? Head unit?

Yes Im looking for much smoother sound that blends in. Everything is stock. It has 3d Els sound system. 16 speaker with 4 way front setup and 6.5" stock sub. Im just looking for a little more cleaner and deeper bass than stock. Also would just taking my stock sub out and putting 6w3v3 in factory location and amp will work?

Yes Im looking for much smoother sound that blends in. Everything is stock. It has 3d Els sound system. 16 speaker with 4 way front setup and 6.5" stock sub. Im just looking for a little more cleaner and deeper bass than stock. Also would just taking my stock sub out and putting 6w3v3 in factory location and amp will work?
What are you using for an input to the amp thats powering the current Jl sub?
And you'd have to know what ohm the factory amp is stable at, and how many watts it provides. My guess is it might not sound much different than the stock sub, and could be hard on the stock amp.

The sub is in the suv trunk under the mat facing up. And I had a car audio shop install everything for me
Have you tried adjusting the gain? Should be under a plate on that amp. They probably set it to get the most volume possible out of the sub. Turn it down and find your sweet spot.

Have you tried adjusting the gain? Should be under a plate on that amp. They probably set it to get the most volume possible out of the sub. Turn it down and find your sweet spot.
Yeah I did that already it's still a bit too loud I want a more smooth blended so I'm probably going to try a 6.5 inch subwoofer

The sub is in the suv trunk under the mat facing up. And I had a car audio shop install everything for me
I would set the Subsonic filter to 30 and raise the LPF to 100. If you have the Bass level remote, leave the gain alone. On another note, those amps are known to burn out subs. When they glitch, they send out a constant signal upon boot up. After so many boot up cycles, the coils degrade till failure occurs.

I'm thinking about going JL audio 6w3v3 and using a kicker key500.1. if I go with that kicker amp will I still need a line out converter?

6.5" is not a subwoofer by any stretch of imagination.
If a shop did the install and stuck it under a carpet mat, and cannot adjust it to be a seamless blend with the rest of the system, then they did not do a proper install, and maybe CANNOT do one.

Before throwing good money at it, give it a shot at setting it up properly, An hour or two of labor with a knowledgeable installer can work wonders.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...