antenna ground? :confused:

Participant count
  • Participant list

poundin s-10
10+ year member

hayden
is it possible that my HU is grounded through the antenna? i hooked it up like normal, minus ground and plugged in the antenna and it played. But now i have a new system and i am getting really bad engine noise. is it possible that hooking up the ground on the hu will cure this prob?

no. The antenna isn't "grounded" in a DC sense...an RF ground and DC ground can be two completely different things. You're getting noise picked up through your antenna, that's called "radiated noise" and requires either filtering the noise at the source or shielding it from reaching your antenna in the first place.

Check your head unit ground first, however, - a bad HU ground could be allowing more noise to enter the system than it should.

lol, i have no ground wires hooked up... that why i thought it might be grounded through the antenna... so do you think that if i hook up the ground it might get rid of the engine noise?

i'll keep this basic - since it's a quarter wave antenna, the FM whip is using the car as the other half of the antenna, so it isn't at DC potential; there's a huge potential for noise pickup there.

Yes, that's what we think //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

that didnt solve the problem, so i am going to try to find a better ground for the amp. i hope that fixes the problem because the protection ling is also flashing, but the system still plays... very confusing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.