Antenna Question

larry711

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2010 Subaru Impreza Sport and have recently upgraded the stereo to a BOSS BVCP9685A double DIN stereo.

All wires are connected and it turns on but the tuner doesn't get any radio stations.

I'm wondering if I need a stereo amplifier? Or am I missing a connection that would give the necessary voltage? The car antenna harness I've seen for this model don't have an external power source.

Here's what left of the wires:

1. There is one wire (blue / white) that wasn't used from the Metra Harness (car harness side).

2. There are 2 wires (blue / white & blue) not used on the (Boss stereo harness side).

3. Does the parking brake input (green -) need to be grounded? If so, where do I ground that?

4. The rest of the wires are for camera inputs to be installed later.

Attachments

• boss stereo side.jpg
    boss stereo side.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 17
  • car wiring side.jpg
    car wiring side.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • harness 1.jpg
    harness 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • harness 2.jpg
    harness 2.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 16
The stereo should have an antenna input on the rear. Plug your OEM antenna cable into it. If you have done that already, recheck your setting on your stereo. Are you getting sound from any of your sources?

1 & 2.
Blue w/ white stripe is going to be a remote wire. It's a switch wire(/power button) for your amps. You have a power wire that supplies the power to the amps, and you have a remote wire that turns on the amps when your head unit is on.
Generally, Blue wire is an antenna/power antenna wire. Not sure if your vehicle has that. If it is only on the stereo harness side, then they include it in case your vehicle has it. If it's not in your harness, then I would say they know you don't, but that blue wire looks like it's been used before. So either you connected it and removed it, or it was previously connected, and sounds like it needs to again.
It could also be to power the antenna when you are using the radio function. The old stick antennas, I DON'T THINK are powered, but I know the short antennas like the shark fin are.

3. Green to parking brake is for your navigation. (I always forget which it is), but I want to say it's grounded when your parking brake is engaged. It's purpose is so that you can't change/work your navigation settings unless your PB is engaged, (so that it's safer and you are not distracted). In the US dealers are required to install it that way. You are in NZ, and not sure what your laws are, but if you just connect it to another ground wire, then it will think the PB is always on, and will let you adjust the nav whenever you need to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...