ANOTHER Sub Shootout/Design Question Regarding Sundown/Dayton/SSA (SQ Build)

Fair enough. Looks like I'll have to remove the Sundown as a possibility. IDQ and IDMAX were both possibilities at the beginning, but I'm concerned that they might have refreshed the line after the change in ownership. Either way, I don't think I'm going to find either one under 200 which is what I'm trying to set for a project maximum. Who has firsthand experience with the DCON sealed? I'm definitely not looking for frame-shaking bass, just a very nice compliment to the bottom end since it'll be running with the stock speakers for quite a while and I'm trying to avoid an onslaught of upgrade-itis.

I have a pair of Adire Audio Koda 8" subs if you dont mind buying from a reputable seller. $150 shipped and they are yours. They utilize an XBL^2 motor which basically ensures the coil is in the gap during excursion for maximum control of the cone (short version).

Agh you make it tempting and I will definitely let you know further down the road, but if I have 150 free up, I intend to move on to the sound deadening. Considering how many leisure expenses I've made this paycheck already, it's just not sensible to jump into subs right now. I'd still have to get the amp/wiring/enclosure/etc which would put me close to a grand OOP.

Make a list of products you find "acceptable", wait until the holidays. Track this hot deals section. Last year there were some fantastic but short lived offers on mainstream brand gear (JL, Focal, JBL, MB Quart, PPI, etc).

If you set your mind on an IDQ subwoofer, I believe there was a way to make sonicelectronix an offer through their web site or ebay store. $200 is something they'd probably accept.

No, the ones I mentioned are SWR-843D/823D. These are from the previous generation Type-R lineup. Alpine didn't update the 8 inch model when it released the 2012 line-up for 10 and 12R, so those 8Rs are effectively "current generation" Type-Rs as far as 8 inch subs are concerned. They are not SPL monsters. Their power handling is 350watt RMS a piece, and you don't want to exceed that. Someone reported that they start to smell funny past that. Nonetheless, two 8Rs in ported inclosure should give you pretty good SPL. Looking at SAZ-1200D's specs, this amp would be perfect for having two DVC 2ohm R8 models wired for final 2ohm load. Running amp at 1ohm can be hard on car's charging system and the amplifier anyways. It seems like this amplifier could also be about right for one Image Dynamics IDQ12v3D4 or Dayton Audio HO12DVC. The Dayton has kind of lowish sensitivity though, while IDQ has more xmax and higher sensitivity, so you can get more SPL out of IDQ and still have good SQ. The IDQ costs almost twice the price of Dayton HOs, but often you can find them on sale for well under $200. Both are fine subs for 1cu ft sealed box, or you can try going with a custom built ported box. People are saying that Sundown SA can be comparable to IDQ in SQ, so I guess it's another subwoofer to consider. On "paper" though, the IDQ seems to have better sensitivity, so you could get a bit more SPL out of it on limited power. I don't know if you can really audit anything at best buy. Their ported boxes are most likely not up to the spec of subwoofer. You can't really audio a sub without hearing the rest of system.
The SA to me is a clean sub it can keep up with some fast double bass kicks but it isn't as musical as the ID.

I wanted a little more punch so I pulled my IDQ out of the sealed 1.25ft and installed an SA-12. The SA definitly hits harder but I am still kicking around the idea of going back the IDQ. The IDQ is much more musical. I listen to 95% rock and actually hearing the musical notes of the bass guitar is pretty nice. I messed up my wiring and was running all 600rms to 1 VC. oops. I discovered it when swapping subs. It didn't seem to hurt anything but I don't crank my stereo up that often or for very long. I know have MBQuart1500.1 amp so 1000 @ 2ohm, 500 @ 4, so I am guessing 250 at 8. This is underpowered but still in the ball park.

Woke up to some good feedback. Thanks, guys.
So the general concencus is 1 (not 2) of whatever sub emerges as the victor. I can live with that. Galactic, thanks for the offer, but I only have enough budgeted right now for the head unit which I ordered last night (got a pretty good deal from Crutchfield on an open box).

Rabbit, based on your experience with builds, what are your recommendations for subs that perform (or at least design) well for small enclosures? I most likely will be coming to you for the box build anyway, so I value your insight.

Zako, are you referring to the 1KW RMS Type Rs? If so, I think I saw a few references to that thread. At the very least these should be easy to demo at a Worst Buy. Same with the Kappa 12.

Any Angelenos paying attention to this thread? I'm looking for decent places to go audition more of the stuff we talk about here. Preferably someone who knows 100% about their equipment and can speak with some authority about it.
and looky looky

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/557399-2x-idmax-d4-v3.html

Holy wow that's a dang good deal. I'll keep my fingers crossed that something that good shows up when I can start buying. Whoever gets those should be pretty happy with themselves.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.