Another high voltage topic to consider

Participant count
  • Participants list

Fishchris

CarAudio.com Recruit
So that guy that had the 400 volt system, in the little Fiat, had done a bunch of technical, and maybe somewhat dangerous stuff, to make that system happen.
But now I see that the new all electric Ford F150 has a 110 volt (or was it 120 ?) Power output built right in. They say that it can be used to power a whole house for days at a time, in case of power outages.
Seems to me that could be used directly with a high voltage amplifier, with nearly zero risk.
Now, I believe most of those high voltage amps are 240 (or more) volts, but I'd think that stepping up from 110 to 220 volts wouldn't be near as big a deal as stepping up from 12 volts, to 110....

Come on guys, if your truck had a direct plug in for 110-120 volts, you wouldn't want to use that for a stereo system ??? 😉👍

I think those outlets are rated for very low wattage.
I think your thinking about the little dinky inverters used in 12 volt systems. In fact, without going into a lot of detail, with the how's and why's, I actually have a little inverter in my truck, and part of my system (my DSP) is running off of 110 volts... But your right, it's very low wattage.... Or, amperage.
I believe it's an entirely different thing though, when your working with a massive high voltage battery, and a big, bad ass inverter.
I will try to get some numbers for you guys though, and report back.

I think your thinking about the little dinky inverters used in 12 volt systems. In fact, without going into a lot of detail, with the how's and why's, I actually have a little inverter in my truck, and part of my system (my DSP) is running off of 110 volts... But your right, it's very low wattage.... Or, amperage.
I believe it's an entirely different thing though, when your working with a massive high voltage battery, and a big, bad ass inverter.
I will try to get some numbers for you guys though, and report back.

Okay. 9.6 Kwts is not crazy high power, but it's not bad for a daily driver, right ?
Considering how limiting many of the hybrid and electric cars are, I feel like this is at least a step in the right direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210530-231544.png
    Screenshot_20210530-231544.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 123
Okay. 9.6 Kwts is not crazy high power, but it's not bad for a daily driver, right ?
Pretty much what we run in my brother's Civic with stock alternator and 1200$ worth of Lithium (possibly 2000$ worth at today's prices). Not sure if this is worth dropping 70 grand plus on a brand new 1/2 ton truck in hybrid.

Pretty much what we run in my brother's Civic with stock alternator and 1200$ worth of Lithium (possibly 2000$ worth at today's prices). Not sure if this is worth dropping 70 grand plus on a brand new 1/2 ton truck in hybrid.
Well put it this way, I'd love to have a brand new, all electric F150 if I could afford it "regardless of the stereo system".... But if I could have a nice daily driving system in it too, that would be a bonus.
Btw, I guess a Honda Civic is not going to have space for a dual alternator setup..... But could your brother at least run a HO alternator ?

I'd love to have a brand new, all electric F150 if I could afford it "regardless of the stereo system".
Meh, if they start at 40 grand and advertise range of 240 miles it seems pretty bad when you could get a 1 ton diesel for only a few grand more. If you gave me one I'd sell it and buy a truck with a real engine.

But could your brother at least run a HO alternator ?
He couldn't find one, though I really don't know how hard he looked. There's about nothing for room down there so I can't imagine you're getting much out of that space even if someone does wind something custom. Really doesn't matter though, you'd melt subs before you ran out of reserve.

Meh, if they start at 40 grand and advertise range of 240 miles it seems pretty bad when you could get a 1 ton diesel for only a few grand more. If you gave me one I'd sell it and buy a truck with a real engine.

He couldn't find one, though I really don't know how hard he looked. There's about nothing for room down there so I can't imagine you're getting much out of that space even if someone does wind something custom. Really doesn't matter though, you'd melt subs before you ran out of reserve.
Hey I just saw a real world review on the all Electric F150, and I was quite surprised how they rate the range... Believe it or not, that is with a 1000 lb load ! The reviewer said he got 368 with no load.
And let's face it, this is the first generation AE F150. They will only get better.
I'm just into electric vehicles in the first place.

Which is basically a fat chick and a small empty trailer. Add a soundsystem and your range becomes what, 50 miles?
No doubt electric vehicles are greatly effected by the load. But I just read another article by Marques Brownlee, where he said, empty and on a 100% charge, this truck could get 459 miles. That's about the same as my F150 with a 5.4L V8... and 26 gallon tank ($120 to fill at current local prices)

Oh and btw, I NEVER carry fat chicks, or small empty trailers :) lol My GF is 5ft 1in, and 115 lbs (cheap to feed :) lol
I did carry about 1000 lbs of bricks in the bed yesterday, and going to do it again twice today, but this is exceedingly rare.

PS, I don't know why the manufacturers try to make the range limit seem less ? Even that 368 miles I mentioned earlier, was "only at 80% charge" (found that out after I posted that) ??? Id think they would try to tell you the maximum range, full charge, no cargo, on a 75 degree day, with a tailwind, and definitely with no fat chicks :) lol

Last edited:
Oh and btw, I NEVER carry fat chicks,
I'm not ashamed to admit I've climbed a few ham mountains in my day.

That said, I just don't think that electric is practical or sensible for anything you would really need a truck for and for the money I'd way rather buy into a 1 ton, or probably the Tesla if I just wanted a pickup truck shaped electric clown car.

I'm not ashamed to admit I've climbed a few ham mountains in my day.

That said, I just don't think that electric is practical or sensible for anything you would really need a truck for and for the money I'd way rather buy into a 1 ton, or probably the Tesla if I just wanted a pickup truck shaped electric clown car.
It may not be completely practical "yet", but it's only a matter of time 😉

It may not be completely practical "yet", but it's only a matter of time 😉
Not ever because there simply isn't enough lithium to replace even a small fraction of our internal combustion engines with batteries and as it stands our electric grid is woefully inadequate for a significant amount of people to plug their cars in every night, and we still don't have free electricity. So barring someone figuring out how to make batteries out of iron or something common as dirt this is never going to be more than a novelty or expensive status symbol with which to virtue signal.

Not ever because there simply isn't enough lithium to replace even a small fraction of our internal combustion engines with batteries and as it stands our electric grid is woefully inadequate for a significant amount of people to plug their cars in every night, and we still don't have free electricity. So barring someone figuring out how to make batteries out of iron or something common as dirt this is never going to be more than a novelty or expensive status symbol with which to virtue signal.
Their are SO many possibilities with new battery tech. They are working on all kinds of batteries that do not use lithium, and some of them do use much cheaper, more available materials. Heck, I saw one which used mostly sodium. You think that would be cheap and available enough ?
Again, it's only a matter of time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...