Analyzing the prototype.

Im making a spacer/shoulder I can glue to the former in order to space the spiders otherwise I won't have a good joint on the spiders.

the spacer/joint is glued to the former and sandwiched between the spiders so the bottom spider has a glue joint on the top and the top spider has a joint on the bottom in order to keep the spiders from separating from the former. I am doing this because it's a long former and the glue joint is much higher so it is possible the assembly can rock/ have some non linear movement that would cause the coil to rub the gap and cause failure.

I'm sure I can get away with gluing the spiders to the landing instead of on spacers higher up closer to the cone but I feel much better with them being spaced this way.

In short i cant say just yet.

Im working on figuring the best configuration/materials and retesting it.. if it is an improvement over the first one it should be pretty solid. I'm trying my best to keep it affordable and realiable. The former is no doubt going to be thicker then the orginal. The gap cooling in the backplate and cooling vents in the former along with the thicker former should keep it much cooler ultimatly increasing its output and realibilty. The spaced spiders should also help avoid any mechanical issues. Which I'm not sure existed but I'm not fixing to find out 20k $ later lol.

I'm so tempted to do a carbon fiber honeycomb core sandwich cone but I don't think that maybe one Db output is worth the $200 added to the woofer.. as if stands now the mms is right at 340 grams which is about 35 grams higher than I wanted but I'm conformable with it because the cone is so **** strong and that is a real deal breaker. I'll take the 30 grams for the added stifness. Also the spacer and thicker former will add some mass. I'm expecting it to be no more than 375..

This will sound rude but I dont intend for it to be..but..whats the point of all this? Is there not a woofer on the market that can satisfy what you want? Is there some kind of end goal your aiming for?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Your idea of R&D is different than a lot of peoples lol. Regardless still curious to see final product and vids. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I'm sure it's been done but I do my own testing. Just like everybody else I assume.. it would be real easy to say I'll take that shelf woofer and try to hoe them out for 3x the cost. Instead it's something abit different. Thanks for your interst. And fyi sooner or later I'll drop a copper sleve in one. Rest assured.

Also although I hadn't sent it to be analyzed yet I'm almost certain with an le of 1.5 the inductance is far below the figure needed to affect a woofer. I might be wrong sundown was nice enough to show his research and I more than likely will do a id magnet Faraday if I can keep it with budget. I'm courious to see how it does without them with such a low le..

This will sound rude but I dont intend for it to be..but..whats the point of all this? Is there not a woofer on the market that can satisfy what you want? Is there some kind of end goal your aiming for?
I had a idea I didn't see implemented. Start with a low le as possible and build around that. It's really not a typical overhung design in the sense that I just took a typical coil and dropped it in a motor. The coil was actually wound to provide a very low le and then the motor was buikt around it to get the BL/qt excetera excetera required for the application..

A few of the woofers have a low le but they do it through shorting rings this is done through the coil being wound for a low le.

I cannot find another woofer without a shorting ring that has a le of 1.5 for a dual 2 and a bl of 24th with an re of 4 ohm. IE it actually has low le and a decent bl which is tricky..

CT woofers. They look pretty nice. How are they? No sepicific the exo line..
They seem decent overall, but this is based over two years ago. Like I said, I'm looking at re-coning one of my 18's to fit in a trunk of a buick in 6.6 cubes, the 18" was too stiff to run off the power that the coil would handle.

I had a idea I didn't see implemented. Start with a low le as possible and build around that. It's really not a typical overhung design in the sense that I just took a typical coil and dropped it in a motor. The coil was actually wound to provide a very low le and then the motor was buikt around it to get the BL/qt excetera excetera required for the application.. A few of the woofers have a low le but they do it through shorting rings this is done through the coil being wound for a low le.

I cannot find another woofer without a shorting ring that has a le of 1.5 for a dual 2 and a bl of 24th with an re of 4 ohm. IE it actually has low le and a decent bl which is tricky..
Alright so ill pretend I understood that. Whats the practical sense to it all? What does it do in a real life setting?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Papermaker85

5,000+ posts
Banned
Papermaker85
New orleans LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date