One B2 X2C vs. Four soundqubed hds315's

Participant count
  • Participant list

ferguson621

Senior VIP Member
I have a chance to get a b2 x2c for $500 in mint condition, I can wire it to 2 ohms and it'll see roughly 6300 from my taramps 8k, or would my hds315's be louder? I know that half of the install is dependant on the box, but I just got a new car and to me it seems like my box is to big for my trunk, I've got about 4 inches from my hatch to the box, my box is 15 cu ft tuned to 38Hz with an 18" sonoport with 254 sq inches of port area. I've got the hds315's wired to one ohm and I'm running My amp on 14.5v with an external regulator. They started to smell a little bit so I turned the gain almost all the way down and they seem to be doing fine now, I know cone area is king but I just wasn't 100% sure because I've never owned a sub that can handle that much power

I have a chance to get a b2 x2c for $500 in mint condition, I can wire it to 2 ohms and it'll see roughly 6300 from my taramps 8k, or would my hds315's be louder? I know that half of the install is dependant on the box, but I just got a new car and to me it seems like my box is to big for my trunk, I've got about 4 inches from my hatch to the box, my box is 15 cu ft tuned to 38Hz with an 18" sonoport with 254 sq inches of port area. I've got the hds315's wired to one ohm and I'm running My amp on 14.5v with an external regulator. They started to smell a little bit so I turned the gain almost all the way down and they seem to be doing fine now, I know cone area is king but I just wasn't 100% sure because I've never owned a sub that can handle that much power
Okay bud, no way is a single 15 louder than 4 15s no matter how high the rms rating is.

Your box needs fixing ASAP. Take out that 18 inch sonotube and do two 10 inch sonotubes instead or a single 14 inch sonotube.

Its smelling because you have too much port area with a pretty decent sized box with the amount of power you are running. You have WAY too much port area for 4 15s. a single 18 inch sono is proper for 4 18s, not 15s. With that much port area, you basically made the power handling of the subs turn to sh*t and fked up your possible bandwidth capabilities by a lot. The airspace doesnt matter anywhere as much as the port in this case.

Ah gotcha, yeah like I said I wasnt sure because i've never owned a sub that's capable of handling that much power. Thank you for the clarification. And I wasn't able to find box plans at the time of building the box. And I saw on a thread that someone had close to 254 sq inches so I went with that. But I'll definitely change my port before I listen to them anymore. What would you recommend for the port area?

Ah gotcha, yeah like I said I wasnt sure because i've never owned a sub that's capable of handling that much power. Thank you for the clarification. And I wasn't able to find box plans at the time of building the box. And I saw on a thread that someone had close to 254 sq inches so I went with that. But I'll definitely change my port before I listen to them anymore. What would you recommend for the port area?
Read my post, i already told you my recommendation for the port.

254 might be a tad high but it shouldn't be a huge problem. Most high displacement 15s use between 55 and 70in^2. Mine needs atleast 70in. 56 is not close to enough.
His current subs are soundqubed hds300s. They dont have much displacement at all with moderately low xmax. he needs to really shrink that port, 256 is fine if he was doing a slot port, this is a round port, he needs MUCH less port area.

I put the numbers into Torres and it said 150-157 with either the two 10's or one 14, and I couldn't find any 10's or 14's at home depot so I went with three 8.5" tubes at 18" inches long which gave me 170 square inches of port area with a tuning of 35Hz....so I figured 170 would be just right for them cause it's not to big but also not to small, thank you guys for your input and helping me save my subs lol, I greatly appreciate both of your input Jeff and papermaker, you both have helped me so much here recently since I've been posting on here, I just wanted to let you know that, and thank you for not being a complete d ick to me, that means a lot

What was there rated rms and how many watts were they seeing?
Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
You guys have totally different subs. You can compare your subs to his OA subs.

Keep you 4-15s and get the enclosure right. There is no 1 15 going to be louder then 4-15s.

What was there rated rms and how many watts were they seeing?
Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Update us on the enclosure. Any improvements to power handling or gains? Might have to swap over to slot or square ports or try blocking one of the 8.5 inch aeros. Still sounds like a little too much port

I have them wired to 1 ohm on my taramps 8k, I haven't clamped it yet to see my true wattage, and I have my amp set with my o-scope and bass boost, loudness, etc is turned off on my head unit. Yeah I'm thinking I should try a slot port instead of the sonotubes. Right now with the three 8.5" tubes I've got 157 sq inches of port area. What size box/ tuning would you guy's recommend I try? I've got about 15 sheets of pine so I can make a few different boxes lmao. I've got a hook up on sheeting. Thank you for all your input

I have them wired to 1 ohm on my taramps 8k, I haven't clamped it yet to see my true wattage, and I have my amp set with my o-scope and bass boost, loudness, etc is turned off on my head unit. Yeah I'm thinking I should try a slot port instead of the sonotubes. Right now with the three 8.5" tubes I've got 157 sq inches of port area. What size box/ tuning would you guy's recommend I try? I've got about 15 sheets of pine so I can make a few different boxes lmao. I've got a hook up on sheeting. Thank you for all your input

With aero ports u want about 9" port per... when I type in three 8.5" areo ports it give me like 170" of port and almost 12" port per...

When I had 4 15s I had roughly 14cubes with four 6" areos tuned to 30hz.

Oops, I meant 170 lol, that was my fault, pretty sure I was thinking of a 10" sonotube, I don't remember off the top of my head, but anyways.....Ok I'm going to try 14 cubes but I don't want to spend anymore money on sonotubes, so how much port area should I have with a slot port?

Oh and hertz mafia that makes perfect sense when you say they can't build enough pressure, do you think I should do subs up port back or subs up port forward? I'm also wanting to do hair tricks is why I ask lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.