Amps stolen

Chrispw24

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys. New here. I just inherited my dads car. It’s a 99 mustang convertible. He had a pretty nice system installed. He has two 13 w7s and alpine head unit with alpine door speakers. All of the amps were stolen out of the trunk. I’m pretty sure it was two JL 1000/1 and there were three other amps. I don’t know a lot about car audio. He had all of this done in Mobile AL probably around 2001, so maybe someone on here may know the car. I’m going to replace the head unit with something newer and replace all of the missing amps. There are 5 fuses in the trunk along with a marine battery and a capacitor.
How can I find out what size amps Were installed. I don’t know why there would have been three amps for just the door speakers and whatever other speakers there are besides the subs. I know this is kind of long winded so I apologize.
TIA

Hey guys. New here. I just inherited my dads car. It’s a 99 mustang convertible. He had a pretty nice system installed. He has two 13 w7s and alpine head unit with alpine door speakers. All of the amps were stolen out of the trunk. I’m pretty sure it was two JL 1000/1 and there were three other amps. I don’t know a lot about car audio. He had all of this done in Mobile AL probably around 2001, so maybe someone on here may know the car. I’m going to replace the head unit with something newer and replace all of the missing amps. There are 5 fuses in the trunk along with a marine battery and a capacitor.
How can I find out what size amps Were installed. I don’t know why there would have been three amps for just the door speakers and whatever other speakers there are besides the subs. I know this is kind of long winded so I apologize.
TIA

It's hard to really say what amps he might have been running. I think you are right about the sub amps being the 1000/1. You need to figure out the number of mids/highs speakers that you have. Are they coaxials or separate component setups?

I have no idea. I guess I’m going to just take it to an audio shop. I wasn’t sure if there was some kind of trick to figure it out. The audio shop I typically go to doesn’t sell JL. Maybe they can still help me out.

He has two 13 w7s
This must have hit like a MF!
How can I find out what size amps Were installed
For the subs, a 3 or 4kw amp wired to 1.5 Ohms and gain matched at 2- 2.5kw. I assume the 3 amps for doors was because it had an active crossover that split the signal for tweeters, midrange, and mid-bass. They probably used the 300/4v2 on each set. By counting the wires you should get an idea of how many speakers there are.

Those subs are garbage. You just need to send those to me:D:DReally.. Those subs are excellent subs. Some best of JLs cream of the crop man. Id at least check them with a DMM see if the coils are still within limitations. Dont let those shop guys talk you out of them. The Baskets alone are worth a nice penny. Take some pics of the wiring for us. Maybe some under the hood also. Id like to see a door panel speaker set up too. If you have the time?? That would be awesome

So I did some digging in the trunk and 4 of the wire sets are labeled. 1000/1, 1000/1, 300/2, 300/2, and the last one is not legible. Here is a pic in the trunk. It’s kind of a mess. My dad has dementia and can’t remember much. I was trying to get some info from him.

Attachments

• 285BC733-00B4-442F-9EE8-1DCB4BF57D57.jpeg
    285BC733-00B4-442F-9EE8-1DCB4BF57D57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
So I did some digging in the trunk and 4 of the wire sets are labeled. 1000/1, 1000/1, 300/2, 300/2, and the last one is not legible. Here is a pic in the trunk. It’s kind of a mess. My dad has dementia and can’t remember much. I was trying to get some info from him.
I'd suggest get a modern 125X4 or 150X4 amp for your fronts and a modern 2000-2500W amp for your subs. Those W7s will not hold up well much over 1000W and they do fine at that power level. DO NOT buy some huge ass amp and break them.

I would not feel obliged to replace them with JL amps unless you have deep pockets and want to keep the aesthetics. There's plenty of stuff that'll get the job done for much less money. The JL is really solid, mind you, but very premium priced.

I would worry that the fronts may run into trouble though. Soft parts do wear with age and if the tweeters are ferro-fluid filled that **** dries out and they will fail. I'm sure the shop can visually inspect them to make sure everything is physically intact but I'd expect they're nearing the end of their expected life if they're 20 years old. The only thing I'd really worry about on the W7s would be the surrounds but those look good from your pic. Looks like a really cool car. Post some pics and impressions whenever you get some new power in there.

I tend to agree, lots of modern options for amplifiers.

I will say the old JL Slash series amps were very nice, and if you can find some in good condition second hand at a fair price, and wanted to keep it how your dad had it, it would be really solid power. Great amps / subs, but pricey. If you don't care to keep it how he had it, just get some newer amps as Hispls suggested and save some money.

If that is a mouse nest or something I see to the far left, I’d get that stuff cleaned out and inspect all the wiring thoroughly before reinstalling any amps. And check all connectors / fuse holders to make sure any urine hasn't corroded anything. That unit in the middle with all the RCA cables plugged in looks like it needs inspected for sure. After a little cleaning / wiping down the wiring, most of it should be good, nothing looks bad at first glance, but I would definitely look over it.

That car had to be pretty sweet 20 years ago! Should still be when you get done with it!

Those subs are garbage. You just need to send those to me:D:DReally.. Those subs are excellent subs. Some best of JLs cream of the crop man. Id at least check them with a DMM see if the coils are still within limitations. Dont let those shop guys talk you out of them. The Baskets alone are worth a nice penny. Take some pics of the wiring for us. Maybe some under the hood also. Id like to see a door panel speaker set up too. If you have the time?? That would be awesome
Why are the baskets valuable? I have a bunch of em I never intend to use, so...

Your dad was cool as hell.. if anything I hope I can leave something like this to my kid to help get them into car audio the way you are learning about it now by figuring out what be gave you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...