Amplifier shopping question?

I just bought a used 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have 2 JL Audio 12s in a sealed box. Bought them used so I don't know what model but based on what I payed I'm assuming they're the base model. When I had them in my impala I used a Boss 2000w monoblock amp. That amp finally went and looking to buy a new (hopefully better and more powerful amp) for when I put them in the jeep. I'm looking for suggestions. My budget is 100-150 for the amp itself.

EDIT: They are a pair of 12" JL Audio W0v3 single 4 ohms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway I can find that without taking them out of the box?

Edit: They're definitely W0s. I just don't know what version. I bought them in 2014. I was also wrong about the box. It is ported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I will take one of the subs out and look for a model number when I get home. I know the amp I've been using for the past 2 years only runs 2 or 4 so I'm assuming that's what it'll be.

Without fear of showing my ignorant side, as much as I know boss is terrible how do I get more power out of a 500w amp than I do a 2000w amp?

And both of those seemed to be discontinued?

Without fear of showing my ignorant side, as much as I know boss is terrible how do I get more power out of a 500w amp than I do a 2000w amp?
And both of those seemed to be discontinued?
Companies like boss, pyle lanzar, power acoustik, you take away a zero at the end and you get their true power ratings. All lying trash companies.

A real 500 watts will be way louder than the amp you were using.

Gotcha. So any other recommendations? The JL is way put of my budget and I can't seem to find the ppi in stock.
The impedance of the box as measured with an ohm meter or indicated on a label that might be at the wire terminal is essential to giving a valid recommendation.

Yeah, I work overnights and am still at work. Going to take the subs out and check for a label when I get home.
You can also take a multi meter and stick it onto the speaker terminals on the box and see what it reads

You can buy an audiopipe 1500 which should be just enough to power your w0s at 2 ohm. It also leaves room for upgrades later on if you want to get stronger subs to run at 1 ohm.

Otherwise a jbl 500 rms amp should work as well.

Rather than pull the sub out I decided to pick up a multimeter as I should have one anyway. Hoping to pick it up on my way home from work so I can get you guys numbers by tomorrow. If it is 2 or 4 ohms do you all still suggest the ppi 650? I finally found one here

i650.1 - Precision Power Monoblock 650W RMS Class D iON Series Full Range Amplifier

And I think I can swing it price wise. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck and not feel the need to upgrade for a while.

I think that we hope they are svc 4 ohm subs or dvc 2ohm (wired to 4ohm each to make a final 2ohm load) that would be perfect for that amp., however if they are 2ohm svc or 4ohm dvc u can always get nice 2 channel that makes about 200rms x2 at 2ohm and run them with that or look at audiopipe which are 1 ohm stable and increase power at 1 ohm as well (if they really are the lowest end jl u could get the 1000 be enough for those anyway).. we just gotta have the ohm load to know.. I've read a lot of amp reviews peeps said "amp stays in protection mode all the time" and we all know 95% of those are trying to run a 2 ohm stable amp at 1ohm..

Yeah I totally get why you guys would need the ohms. I was hoping based off the amp I was using for 2 years I'd be able to safely say what they were but picking up the multimeter and testing the connections is surely the best way to go.

Now, my box has two connection pannels. One for each sub on opposite ends of the box. When I test it does that mean I'll only be getting a reading on one of the subs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.