Amplifier goes into protect with 12 dvc subs.

Richyboy5225

Okay first off everything is brand new, right out of the box and into my blazer. I have an infinity 1300a amplifier and two 12 pioneer Tsw309d4 subs in a ported box. The subs are Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm and the amplifier is a two channel. I have tried just about every way to wire them.. 2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm no matter what i do when you turn it up the amp goes into protect but starts off just fine. When i had them wired at 8 ohm the amp didn't go into protect but the subs sounded so bad.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening and if there's anything i can do about it?

i have them wired with one pos from one coil to pos on amp and neg from other coil to neg on amp. then i have the pos and neg left over from each coil wired together. That didnt send the map into protect but sounded really bad like they were bottoming out almost like not getting enough power.

i think im going to check my ground too make sure its good.

the infinity 1300a is a mono amp. If you wired one positive and one negative to the amp, and wired the other positive and negative together on the sub. you hooked it up into a 8 ohm load. This might have been enough to fry the amp. Its good for 4, or 2 ohm. I cant post links, but If you look up sub wiring you will see that you need to wire positive from the amp to both positive terminals on the sub, and the same with the negatives. The amp has two sets of speaker wire hookups for ease of wiring.

Smell the amp and see if you can smell burnt, sooty ness. I am guessing you blew one of the outputs, This would cause it to go into protect. Or you blew one of the voice coils on the sub. To check the sub, set your multimeter on ohms. You should have pretty close to 4 ohms on each of the speaker wire terminals on the sub.

the infinity 1300a is a mono amp. If you wired one positive and one negative to the amp, and wired the other positive and negative together on the sub. you hooked it up into a 8 ohm load. This might have been enough to fry the amp. Its good for 4, or 2 ohm. I cant post links, but If you look up sub wiring you will see that you need to wire positive from the amp to both positive terminals on the sub, and the same with the negatives. The amp has two sets of speaker wire hookups for ease of wiring.
Smell the amp and see if you can smell burnt, sooty ness. I am guessing you blew one of the outputs, This would cause it to go into protect. Or you blew one of the voice coils on the sub. To check the sub, set your multimeter on ohms. You should have pretty close to 4 ohms on each of the speaker wire terminals on the sub.
8ohm load for an amp would be heaven.

Correction, when My amp fried it was because of the General motors electrical systems are notorious for power surging. I didnt have a 30 amp fuse, Just an 80 off the battery. I hooked it up to a 8 0hm load. Got a little bit of sound, then a puff of smoke out of the amp.

Check, and smell the amp like i said, and check the sub with a multimeter if you got one.

It sounds like Kangaroux is the expert, if you have any questions, perhaps you should send him a PM.

you did example two in the link below the first time.
You needed to do example 1.

copy and paste this to get to the link put three w's in the front. It wont let me post links for some reason.

rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?

You sir are an idiot and do not deserve to be giving people information. An 8 ohm load will not fry an amp.....it is much easier on the amp than a 4 ohm load. Please stop trying to help people right now before you do actually wreck someones equipment because they listened to you.

best advice if you have a 4ch amp and are wiring each coil to a channel is to sell the amp an buy a 1ohm stable mono and wire the subs in parallel. it is posible to wire each voicecoil to a channel but it is very hard each channel needs to be matched in output and the signal needs to be the same for each channel not a stereo input

i want to know how teh black talon had an 80a fuse under the hood but didnt have a 30a fuse for the amp? No fuse onboard the amp?

I missed the part where he said two subs, I apoligize. I just recognized the amp. The 1300A is a 300-Watt mono subwoofer amplifier Not a 4 channel amp. I am left to ponder myself on how you could get a brand new amp, and two subs to go into protect mode. I guess you might be able to get them wired into a 1 ohm configuration. (correct me If I am wrong), Or please enlighten me.

The Reference 1300A features a 12dB per octave electronic crossover, allowing you to optimize bass performance based on enclosure type and subwoofer selection. Full-range preamp outputs facilitate use of multiple amplifiers without the need for noisy and expensive adapters or signal splitters. Remote level bass control and port for future expansion products are included. It also has two positive and two negative speaker 4 gauge wire holes. So you dont have to try to cram two 4 gauge wires in one hole.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.