Amp blown? Please read for a detailed description, thanks.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Al3xander

NY
Okay, so I have an amp installed in my 2007 Versa. I bought it like that. I had some problems getting it working initially, but after tinkering it turned out the inline fuse in the engine bay was blown. Replaced that, and it's been working ever since... until today.

So, this is what happened. I'm driving to work and my radio cut out. Happened a couple times, but it came back within a couple seconds. I thought, "that's weird." However, I continued my commute and when I got back into my car after work, all was okay again. Well, it was.

So, it happened again. This time, a loud crackling sound accompanied the lost of audio, and the audio was never restored. I get home, I check it, and it turns out the black wire to the amp came disconnected and was touching the red wire. I moved it; it touched again, and sparks flew. At this point, I noticed my fuse on the amp is glowing red, indicating I have a blown fuse.

I think, okay, sweet, it's just a fuse. I go to Autozone, buy another fuse. Put it in, sparks fly, it glowed red again. Indicating, once again, a blown fuse. I put another one in, with the car off. Turned the car on, fuse glows red again. I just did this three times, all with the same result. The fuses blow and are dead the second they go into the amp.

Conclusion, the amp is blown, correct? So, at this point, what do I do to the Kenwood? Should I take the amp apart; is this something that can easily be fixed inside the amp, or what's the next step? The amp power light is still on, so it's still getting juice, but there's absolutely no output to my speakers, and I can't get a fuse to go in without blowing?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yup your fawked lol

Whoever did the install....take it back and tell them what happened. I'm confused on your 1st statement,,,,,you said you had an amp installed then said you bought the car like that??

That black wire from the amp is the ground. How did that come loose?

Yup your fawked lol
Whoever did the install....take it back and tell them what happened. I'm confused on your 1st statement,,,,,you said you had an amp installed then said you bought the car like that??

That black wire from the amp is the ground. How did that come loose?
I just meant that the amp was installed in the car already when I bought it, not that I installed it. I worded that poorly, but thanks for the feedback. As for how it came lose, I have no idea, it just was like that when I looked under the seat.

first thing..stop putting fuses in..

it sounds fried to me..

if you have to ask about you fixing the amp...

its time for a new amp.
*sigh* Thanks for the feedback, not the news that I wanted to hear, lol.

I just meant that the amp was installed in the car already when I bought it, not that I installed it. I worded that poorly, but thanks for the feedback. As for how it came lose, I have no idea, it just was like that when I looked under the seat.
Oh gotcha.

Yup...I'd say that amp is blown. Kenwood amp you say? Another can be had for fairly cheap. So if you go that route or another brand, hit us up on proper installation.

Oh gotcha.
Yup...I'd say that amp is blown. Kenwood amp you say? Another can be had for fairly cheap. So if you go that route or another brand, hit us up on proper installation.
I'm about do that now on another thread... be on the look out in two minutes when I type it up and post pictures please, lol.

Please refer to this link* http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/622286-need-advice-proper-installation.html#post8775016

Anyone else who is able to provide insight or feedback, please assist. Thanks for all the help those far, guys; this has been a major headache for me tonight, especially so close to the Holidays.
Those 2 pics from the link provided is a 4 ch amp. Your gonna want either a 2 ch amp or mono (1 ch.) amp.

i'd say anywhere from 1000-1500 watt amp should power that L7 nicely.

Those 2 pics from the link provided is a 4 ch amp. Your gonna want either a 2 ch amp or mono (1 ch.) amp.
i'd say anywhere from 1000-1500 watt amp should power that L7 nicely.
Can you give me more details? Those pics were from the broken amp in my car now. Why would I want to go from a 4 channel to a 2 channel or a mono? Is it because my speaker level input wires make the channels meaningless? What are the wires running to my amp if its using stock speakers/wires anyway? Were they hook-ups from parts that the original owner may have removed? I'm pretty clueless, if you could break it down for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Can you give me more details? Those pics were from the broken amp in my car now. Why would I want to go from a 4 channel to a 2 channel or a mono? Is it because my speaker level input wires make the channels meaningless? What are the wires running to my amp if its using stock speakers/wires anyway? Were they hook-ups from parts that the original owner may have removed? I'm pretty clueless, if you could break it down for me, I'd really appreciate it.
omg....maybe I confused myself with another thread...??!! I dunno... perhaps but I swear I saw a L7 sub somewhere. Maybe I missed it..

Anyway, Just as the other people told ya in the other thread, those speaker wires are tapped into your factory's car wiring to accept them in the amp and thus powers your speakers in the car w/o the use of RCA's. When I bought my Tahoe, it had the same thing. I just bought an aftermarket radio and used RCA's and ripped out the line level input device.

If your wanting to go back to another 4 ch amp, That's tottaly up to you. The 2 ch I was talking about was for that L7 somewhere I saw dangit!!

Those line level speaker wires are generally used for stock radios in vehicles. Once you replace the radio, or headunit (HU for short), I would use some RCA's if you go that route. Previous owner of the car installed that amp but appears to be poorly.....to make his speakers louder as HU's only put out a few watts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.