American made amplifiers

we need to meet up man. i think i'm off next weekend. should have an extra battery. i'm not too far from you. id like to hear what yo got going on..
That "was" was supposed to be wish. I had nothing to do with the company. Though I didn't know you were that close, I was working at chalmette refining the past few weeks, maybe after this next turnaround in pascagoula we could meet up.

That "was" was supposed to be wish. I had nothing to do with the company. Though I didn't know you were that close, I was working at chalmette refining the past few weeks, maybe after this next turnaround in pascagoula we could meet up.
hit me up money..

I was going to mention Linear Power, Butler and Tru Tech. If you have a minute to look up Tru's Facebook page, they post a lot of production photos and some videos. They posted some pics of their Billet amps in a polished piano black finish that may be the most beautiful amplifiers I've ever seen. Pricey? Absolutely. But, then again they aren't a SPL manufacturer. Geared more toward the SQ or SQL buyer.
And if you can't afford new, you can always buy used. But, if you do, try to get gear that has been well cared for. Older amp components may need to be replaced and that can cost big $$$.
What does “not bring a SPL brand” have to do with anything? Are both not designed to play music?

Btw “SPL” gear has to take a beating and keep on going. That’s a good thing.

What does “not bring a SPL brand” have to do with anything? Are both not designed to play music? Btw “SPL” gear has to take a beating and keep on going. That’s a good thing.
Most true SPL amps are designed to accept 16 volts or well above. Most SQ-oriented amps are not.

Most SQ associated amplifiers are built for very high S/N ratios and very low distortion, as such they are not intended to normally be operated at ultra low resistance loads. Also the Tru Tech amps I mentioned are all full range units.

There is of course some overlap among brands but, there is definitely a difference.

Most true SPL amps are designed to accept 16 volts or well above. Most SQ-oriented amps are not. Most SQ associated amplifiers are built for very high S/N ratios and very low distortion, as such they are not intended to normally be operated at ultra low resistance loads. Also the Tru Tech amps I mentioned are all full range units.

There is of course some overlap among brands but, there is definitely a difference.
Most of the amps you would call SPL brands are 12v amps. Yes some will take higher voltage but that’s a separate rating.

If distortion is low enough and SNR is high enough to not hear what’s the difference?

Most of the amps you would call SPL brands are 12v amps. Yes some will take higher voltage but that’s a separate rating. If distortion is low enough and SNR is high enough to not hear what’s the difference?
Well, I'll just say that at the Car Audio Championships the last few years I haven't seen too many SPL-oriented manufacturers represented in the SQ judging hall. By the same token I didn't see too many SQ brands in the SPL arena. I'm not going to call out specific brands because most people know what is what. Occasionally you will have some manufacturers who overlap into both arenas but, it's not very common.

But, hey if you want to try to win in SQ with gear that has traditionally been popular in SPL, go for it. Might be cool to see.

Well, I'll just say that at the Car Audio Championships the last few years I haven't seen too many SPL-oriented manufacturers represented in the SQ judging hall. By the same token I didn't see too many SQ brands in the SPL arena. I'm not going to call out specific brands because most people know what is what. Occasionally you will have some manufacturers who overlap into both arenas but, it's not very common. But, hey if you want to try to win in SQ with gear that has traditionally been popular in SPL, go for it. Might be cool to see.
The branding is stupid. Car audio company. Application is important not the brand.

I’ve had a few wins using my “SPL” amps.

The branding is stupid. Car audio company. Application is important not the brand.
Exactly. And some brands build their products geared toward SQ focused consumers. Some build for SPL customers. Just the way it is. All you have to do is look at how (and to who) certain companies market their products.

Exactly. And some brands build their products geared toward SQ focused consumers. Some build for SPL customers. Just the way it is. All you have to do is look at how (and to who) certain companies market their products.
Bull ****. They all build to play music. I don’t think any walk into a board room and say “we need to brand something that sounds like crap”.

your are like 5 hours away. let me know when you are going to a show. we gonna sneak in some crown and act an ***..
I need to get a vehicle ready for shows ..I’m building my 4 DD 8 s10 but it’s only gonna be a little over 2000 watts on the 8s in a daily setup ...there’s no telling how long it will be before I put together another true SPL vehicle ..I should’ve never sold my Wrangler and just kept it for shows ...

Bull ****. They all build to play music. I don’t think any walk into a board room and say “we need to brand something that sounds like crap”.
I would hope no manufacturer would do that...and that is not what I am saying.

But, do you think Alpine or Audison builds products to sell to the same people Skar or Taramps does? Of course not. Alpine isn't trying to capture the SPL market. And it works both ways. Yes, there are some gray areas and some companies trying to appeal to both crowds. But, on the whole that isn't the case.

I have a friend who owns and runs a successful b&m car audio store. He has point blank told me that he has no interest in carrying brands that market to the SPL crowd. Obviously he is targeting a different crowd.

I would hope no manufacturer would do that...and that is not what I am saying. But, do you think Alpine or Audison builds products to sell to the same people Skar or Taramps does? Of course not. Alpine isn't trying to capture the SPL market. And it works both ways. Yes, there are some gray areas and some companies trying to appeal to both crowds. But, on the whole that isn't the case.

I have a friend who owns and runs a successful b&m car audio store. He has point blank told me that he has no interest in carrying brands that market to the SPL crowd. Obviously he is targeting a different crowd.
It’s a crowd of people who don’t know any better(SQ snobs) and people that don’t care(Bassheads). Again, it’s all in the application.

Basshead stuff is built to be bulletproof. Which makes it a more quality product then some low power “SQ” gear. But the “SQ” gear cost more. That makes no sense.

It’s a crowd of people who don’t know any better(SQ snobs) and people that don’t care(Bassheads). Again, it’s all in the application. Basshead stuff is built to be bulletproof. Which makes it a more quality product then some low power “SQ” gear. But the “SQ” gear cost more. That makes no sense.
doesnt SQ gear generally have a lower THD?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.