American Bass HD15d2 Amp and Box

Bobbytwonames
5,000+ posts

Trigger Man!
Vegas
I have an Orion XTR2500.1dz with a birth certificate of 2,984 watts @1 ohm. People are telling me that the Amp is too much for one American Bass HD15d2. I'm planning on a ported 3.5 to 4 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz. in my 1965 VV Bug. Any thoughts on amp or box are appreciated.

I have an Orion XTR2500.1dz with a birth certificate of 2,984 watts @1 ohm. People are telling me that the Amp is too much for one American Bass HD15d2. I'm planning on a ported 3.5 to 4 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz. in my 1965 VV Bug. Any thoughts on amp or box are appreciated.
I'd not worry too much as long as it's clean power, I'm clamping 3K on a 1750 watt sub currently. AB makes solid products in my exp. Maybe keep the box volume closer to the smallish range is about all I'd suggest, model it up on your power to see where you need to be would be best to find port area/volume. You can always turn the amp down a bit too. It just depends on the enclosure and your system knowledge/experience level Imo.

I called American Bass, and they suggested a box 32" L X 18" H X 17" D, with a 3" W X 15"H X 14" D port. I was told to make the whole box out of 1" MDF. I told him the amp I am going to use is the XTR2500.1dz. He said that he wouldn't be responsible for what it's going to do to my bug. Does that box sound pretty legit?

32"L X 18" H X 17" D. Port= 3" X 15"H X 14" D
Was informed to make the box entirely out of 1" MDF.
Any thoughts? Any idea what the tuning frequency would be with this box?

HltKwz.jpg

That's ^^^^ quick and dirty btw... I probably would do it different on your power but what are your goals?

i heard a hd in a 35hz tuned box and it got loud and low but it was a 12...my xfls are tuned @ 31 hz and shakes every thing in my suv and everything that is around me and still gets very loud...

Personally I'd tune mid 30's and enjoy (metalhead), I'd compromise tuning wise (just me) and focus on electrical, a 1965 Bug can't be too easy to put decent electrical in. Idk for sure but I think that sub excels with a higher tuning, it can dig but Spl is what it does well I've heard. Take something geared for Spl and tune low and usually you'll lose output... jmo. I'd try something like this if it was mine on your power...
h4dsgG.jpg

Sub/port up like My63Bug had, that did pretty good iirc and it was a convertible/softtop. Anyways... I'd try something like that ^^^^ if it was mine.

lol i have the same set up and the same gain setting although my electrical aint really up to par...:/
HltKwz.jpg

That's ^^^^ quick and dirty btw... I probably would do it different on your power but what are your goals?
Shredder2,
Is there any reason that the Orion isn't a good choice? I thought 2,984 watts @1 ohm would be plenty of power to run this one 15. I would like it to hit really low and loud. But, I'm not sure the box above will do the trick at 40hz. Wouldn't a box between 30-32 hz. be better? I measured my bug and have room for a box with a width of 35" X 15.5H X 18.25 D. That would leave 4.19 cu. ft. net. With the sub at .17 making it 4.02 net. What would I need to do to tune the box down to 32 hz.? Thanks for all your help man! I'm an old man getting back into the game.

Shredder2,
Is there any reason that the Orion isn't a good choice? I thought 2,984 watts @1 ohm would be plenty of power to run this one 15. I would like it to hit really low and loud. But, I'm not sure the box above will do the trick at 40hz. Wouldn't a box between 30-32 hz. be better? I measured my bug and have room for a box with a width of 35" X 15.5H X 18.25 D. That would leave 4.19 cu. ft. net. With the sub at .17 making it 4.02 net. What would I need to do to tune the box down to 32 hz.? Thanks for all your help man! I'm an old ma, getting back into the game.
I'm limited to a height of 15.5, but can go as wide as 35". Depth isn't any concern, plenty of room. TY!

Shredder2,
I'm an old man getting back into the game.

That ^^^^ sounds familiar... 52yrs here... lows or SPL seems to change as a preference with me anymore. I got a FiBL-18 for output and a Resilient Platinum 18 that will be tuned low for me... probably 34hz... ya.... I know. I had a 31 hz tuned box before. I loved it and tore my car apart but ultimately I realized that Spl is what I'm after mostly. I'm really not "in the game" but just an enthusiast with pretensions. One thing I've realized... power is way cheaper than then in mid-90's when efficiency ruled.
I see the pic of your ride... clean
Does that roof-rack rattle?.. you'll find out

Last edited:
That ^^^^ sounds familiar... 52yrs here... lows or SPL seems to change as a preference with me anymore. I got a FiBL-18 for output and a Resilient Platinum 18 that will be tuned low for me... probably 34hz... ya.... I know. I had a 31 hz tuned box before. I loved it and tore my car apart but ultimately I realized that Spl is what I'm after mostly. I'm really not "in the game" but just an enthusiast with pretensions. One thing I've realized... power is way cheaper than then in mid-90's when efficiency ruled.
I see the pic of your ride... clean
That roof-rack rattle?.. you'll find out
My ride currently has zero sounds. I'm 50 years old and my first system was in 1989 at a cost of $5,500. All Rockford, Nakamichi, and a Sony HU. I mounted the roof rack with little vinyl hose pieces over the metal standoffs. So, no metal to metal contact, we'll see though. Do you not like my amp for some reason? My current bass setup in my Dodge standard cab is two American Bass VFL8d4's. The Amp is a Difital Designs M.80, 900 watts @1 ohm. They are in a custom made ported box behind the drivers seat, firing up. I want the setup in my Bug to be loud and be heard. My truck bass stays in the truck, but those little 8's are bo joke. So, it sounds like I need 4.25 cubes net (before port and speaker) tuned to about 35hz. Any thoughts for this old man would be appreciated. What's wrong with my amp for my setup?

Do you not like my amp for some reason? Any thoughts for this old man would be appreciated. What's wrong with my amp for my setup?
Idk why you perceive some disdain for the Xtr2500.1 from me, other than a tendency to run hot, massive current draw and set Ssf its a monster and will get the job done for sure. Did I say anything detrimental about the amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.