Alpine type X 2020 or FI Q 15

Participant count
  • Participant list

Radiospank
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
looking to switch up my sub. looking for an SQL build and the Q and type X both touted as "SQ".
My concern is FI Q is a lot of motor and alot more mms than the X. So I am considering 2 type X sealed over 1 FI Q 15 sealed, but what do you think?

Both model pretty good in winisd. but again the Q has alot more motor and mass, I can't imagine that sounds as good as a smaller motor lighter cone sub.

Currently running a Morel ultimo so I'm looking for something SQ ish

amp is DD m2a around 2000 watts rms.

looking to switch up my sub. looking for an SQL build and the Q and type X both touted as "SQ".
My concern is FI Q is a lot of motor and alot more mms than the X. So I am considering 2 type X sealed over 1 FI Q 15 sealed, but what do you think?

Both model pretty good in winisd. but again the Q has alot more motor and mass, I can't imagine that sounds as good as a smaller motor lighter cone sub.

Currently running a Morel ultimo so I'm looking for something SQ ish

amp is DD m2a around 2000 watts rms.
Yoo radiospank! Wuddup! Haven’t seen you here in ages. I honestly think your Ultimo setup with that box is better than both options above. I currently have a 10” B2 Ref in a huge T-line box with less than 600w and it slams up top and most definitely on the bottom end. Huge bandwidth. You should take a listen when you got some time.

Yoo radiospank! Wuddup! Haven’t seen you here in ages. I honestly think your Ultimo setup with that box is better than both options above. I currently have a 10” B2 Ref in a huge T-line box with less than 600w and it slams up top and most definitely on the bottom end. Huge bandwidth. You should take a listen when you got some time.
yea, been pretty content with my Ultimo but I want to try and go a little louder but still stay clean, hence the sealed alignment.

Those b2 ref have some good specs, hows the spl? and what happend to the daytons?

yea, been pretty content with my Ultimo but I want to try and go a little louder but still stay clean, hence the sealed alignment.

Those b2 ref have some good specs, hows the spl? and what happend to the daytons?
I still got my 4 daytons man..lol It's going to go in my upcoming build for a scion tc. The B2 is in my oldschool benzo. I was very surprised by the spl of the b2 ref actually.. It's rated at 600w and that's pretty much all you need for this sub. Let me show you pics..

I still got my 4 daytons man..lol It's going to go in my upcoming build for a scion tc. The B2 is in my oldschool benzo. I was very surprised by the spl of the b2 ref actually.. It's rated at 600w and that's pretty much all you need for this sub. Let me show you pics..
nice box, birch is just worth the extra cost. I was reading up on t line, and apparently my folded horn is a variant of the t line, but anyway I still want to have that extra spl when i want. Tough decision, going to have to sit on it.

nice box, birch is just worth the extra cost. I was reading up on t line, and apparently my folded horn is a variant of the t line, but anyway I still want to have that extra spl when i want. Tough decision, going to have to sit on it.
Yep, folded horn is a variation but it's not the same response tho. My box is gigantic for a 10. It literally takes up ALL of my trunk. I think almost ANY decent sub will be louder than your Ultimo lol. Going 2 12's sealed is going backwards IMO and a waste of power.

so the new fi q is a 4 stack magnet beast, Im iffy about it being called a sound quality woofer as they state. I hear the alpine type R sound good, and the new X even better. I'm just itching for a new setup.

I hear you on the new setup. I change my mind constantly. The Fi Q is a sexy woofer. My old BL(2008ish) is still my favorite woofer I’ve had.

Yep, folded horn is a variation but it's not the same response tho. My box is gigantic for a 10. It literally takes up ALL of my trunk. I think almost ANY decent sub will be louder than your Ultimo lol. Going 2 12's sealed is going backwards IMO and a waste of power.
Yea you are right a folded horn is not the same size box, it does share the same response(12 db roll off) as a sealed, and t line. However the folded horn acomplishes this with a smaller box and is harder to design, that is why I paid PWK, who is now at AD Car audio and does designs there fyi.

The ultimo is decently loud, I did have 2510s running off .5 ohm so I believe I can claim this imo. Even tho there alot of subs that can get louder they have not won any awards for sq nor even have the reviews to compete. Show some respect ;)

as for sealed being a step backwards, It is a matter of opinion but I believe the reason it sounds better to some people is the 12 db roll off on the low end (e.g. T line), ported extends much deeper while maintating spl and that can get boomy or reduce the perceived transient response. This is why woofers like JL w7, get that rep for being boomy.

Last edited:
I hear you on the new setup. I change my mind constantly. The Fi Q is a sexy woofer. My old BL(2008ish) is still my favorite woofer I’ve had.
Yea i had two fi Q the older ones from @blazian87 and I just didn't like the sound of it compared to my ultimo, so i never completed the dual Q install as planned. Now I am ready to give dual subs a chance again, wish DD wasn't so dam expensive, I would be all over their HD series wooferes

Yeah I stopped looking at Fi Q a long time ago. I owned it for a year and it was great at what it does but wasn't so versatile in music selection. Seems like every new version they make, they make it beefier and more SPL oriented. I think the Adire Brahma is a good candidate to look at. I've always wanted one since I was 16 yrs old and they eventually went out of business. They just recently came back with it so worth a look. Never heard one but it has the legendary XBL^2 motor design from back in the day. I've owned a XBL^2 motor sub before back in high school and the SQ was just absolutely amazing. Try inputting the parameters in WinISD and see what you get.

I agree with you on them making the Q more SPL oriented lately. I am with you on the Brahma. I always wanted one and now that they are back, I want to pull the trigger but really need the space to really appreciate one before I drop that much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.