Alpine Type Rs Vs. Sundowns

But, I did not come on here to start a fight. I have not heard Sundowns in person. Only Youtube videos with makes it virtually imposable to hear clarity. But noise/sound/volume is not my ultimate goal, my ultimate goal is clarity first, volume second. Which I why I brought up the question, because this was the first guy I met with any real hands on experience with Sundowns, everyone else has been hear say. Everyone else I know that is into speaker are more SPL guys and don't understand my SQ mind set. I always get, "what do you mean clarity, your speakers can go louder."

If I hear any "whop whop whop" I'm "No No No."

If I hear vibration or rattling in my car, I fix it at all costs, it bothers me to the point that I don't wanna listen to music. Unfortunately I have a rattle I can not fix, or haven't come up with a solution yet. My sunglasses holder makes a ton of noise.

Right... I think I'm gonna try to get a proto type from them if it's possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be interested, but I'm not looking at spending any real money until I've got a couple hundred or thousand hours on these. I went completely all out. About 1000 invested after HU, door speakers, subs, boxes, amps, fans, and batteries.

Haha I remember when I had two Infinity reference 10's and thought I was kicking a$$. Then you get the stuff that all the guys talk about in here like Sundown, Fi, DC, DD... whatever and you realize you've been watching movies on your cell phone when there's IMAX theaters out there.

The point I'm trying to make is you don't miss what you don't have. Get it and you'll never turn back.

As far as SQ with Sundown vs Alpine, I can't stop laughing over that guys comment. If we thought these subs sounded like crap would we all really be putting the time and money we do into them and our systems? There's a reason why you see certain brands pop up so often in here and it's not because they ****! lmao!

On that note I'll toss in a vote for Fi! I love them...but Sundown is nice too...and so is DC...and Soundqubed...and....

I'd be interested, but I'm not looking at spending any real money until I've got a couple hundred or thousand hours on these. I went completely all out. About 1000 invested after HU, door speakers, subs, boxes, amps, fans, and batteries.
Lol budget build bro... I don't even wanna start adding up the money I got into my trucks

Haha I remember when I had two Infinity reference 10's and thought I was kicking a$$. Then you get the stuff that all the guys talk about in here like Sundown, Fi, DC, DD... whatever and you realize you've been watching movies on your cell phone when there's IMAX theaters out there.
The point I'm trying to make is you don't miss what you don't have. Get it and you'll never turn back.

As far as SQ with Sundown vs Alpine, I can't stop laughing over that guys comment. If we thought these subs sounded like crap would we all really be putting the time and money we do into them and our systems? There's a reason why you see certain brands pop up so often in here and it's not because they ****! lmao!

On that note I'll toss in a vote for Fi! I love them...but Sundown is nice too...and so is DC...and Soundqubed...and....
I had an opportunity to get DDs, but the were more than twice what I spent on the Alpines, and that is probably because they were priced for retail. I got a steal, 200 for the pair brand new (don't like buying peoples used stuff). Which is pretty cheap for what I has saw. Perhaps my next project I'll venture off to another brand. (kinda already planned on doing that anyways to broaden my speaker knowledge.) I'm very pleased so far with my Alpines. Maybe not the loudest I've personally heard, but by far the clearest. And the other guy was fixing peoples systems (or changing out the SDs with Alpines or Kickers) and likely were poorly installed. He said they were loud but not clear.

Lol budget build bro... I don't even wanna start adding up the money I got into my trucks

Awww brutal...One mans budget build is another mans dream. That's how we all started at some point. Then you graduate to no longer wanting to add up the money you've invested.

Awww brutal...One mans budget build is another mans dream. That's how we all started at some point. Then you graduate to no longer wanting to add up the money you've invested.
We budget built our Kia Soul. Found some Kenwoods with a Kenwood amps for 150 on craigslist. Bought it. Found another of the same pair for 50, got em. Now we have a sound wall in the Soul //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Its loud, but the bass seems low, lower than intended(at least with my music). But it is loud.

Addition info edit:

We did use a converter and spliced into the factory sub speaker wires, that may have something to do with the "low sound."

Another Edit:

I need to hear some of these Sundowns so I'm on your level of loud. Loud to me is much louder than my '12 Cruzes factory Pioneer.

Lol I can't even add up my electrical from 1 vehicle to add up to under 1k

I had an opportunity to get DDs, but the were more than twice what I spent on the Alpines, and that is probably because they were priced for retail. I got a steal, 200 for the pair brand new (don't like buying peoples used stuff). Which is pretty cheap for what I has saw. Perhaps my next project I'll venture off to another brand. (kinda already planned on doing that anyways to broaden my speaker knowledge.) I'm very pleased so far with my Alpines. Maybe not the loudest I've personally heard, but by far the clearest. And the other guy was fixing peoples systems (or changing out the SDs with Alpines or Kickers) and likely were poorly installed. He said they were loud but not clear.
I was reading along fine until I saw Kicker and then I just saw red...I'd rather have a Sony XPOLD system...

You know I'm big on home theaters and a lot of people in that circle love Bose, "They're so clear, there so powerful, blah blah blah" But there's this giant hole in there Fq response right around 200Hz. I can't get over it. So when you say you like the sound of Alpines and Kickers over other higher quality options my thought is, you're a Bose guy.

im currently running the type rs... lol everything depends on model of sub in my eyes... type rs will beat some sundowns... but most of sundown will beat out the type rs hands down... your always gonna have brand huggers... best way i learned save... buy used... trade... find what you like before you invest big bucks into something that isnt even what you like... i like my subs beastly.. i dont care about musical... lol i wanna feel my subs... my dads ride on the other hand complete sq set up... and in there i went american bass xd ten cuz i preferred them over the sa8v1 ... felt the xd's out performed them... but the sa8v2 killed the xd's then it fell on price point.. lol went xd's...

I was reading along fine until I saw Kicker and then I just saw red...I'd rather have a Sony XPOLD system...
You know I'm big on home theaters and a lot of people in that circle love Bose, "They're so clear, there so powerful, blah blah blah" But there's this giant hole in there Fq response right around 200Hz. I can't get over it. So when you say you like the sound of Alpines and Kickers over other higher quality options my thought is, you're a Bose guy.
I'm not a kickers guy, I personally don't care for them. I blew one in best buy and never looked back. Literally, I left before anyone noticed. But no, I'm not a bose guy at all. I haven't ventured off into that valley yet. I got a Yamaha receiver(that I got from the pawn shop down the road) with my old car door speakers hooked up, and a 500 watt JL sub. I play a lot of my written music over it, when that sounds good I car test it. That my HT use.

In reference to the Kickers, that's what they sell. Alpines and Kickers. I was over there today when getting my oil changed and asked about Sundown.

lol and id put the L7 on par if not a lil better than type rs... to each his own... lol currently have both subs on hand for side by sides...
I know a guy that swears by Kickers, competed with them and everything. He did say anything could have sounded loud in that van though.

I know a guy that swears by Kickers, competed with them and everything. He did say anything could have sounded good in that van though.
ive done some budget builds that guys on here would praise up and down ..... till i popped the trunk... lmao... i did a budget build like under 500 for everything and did 4 12's on a zrx2k... lmao... and it surprised alot of people....

and people swear by them cuz theyve never heard better... L7 and JL and type r/x are big mainstream brands... so tend to be referred to as best of the best cuz thats what people think with those price tags... lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.