Alpine Type Rs Vs. Sundowns

Between an 8 and a 15 assuming ideal target enclosures that interact with the car perfectly. the only difference will be in magnitude. But of course this is like solving introductory physics problems, *ignoring everything that may throw a kink in your calculations*. A lot of time larger size woofers are implemented poorly and that's why that thought persists over time.

Loudness would be noticeably different. Transient response would not be noticeably different if the enclosures were to spec.

"faster" or "slower" response can also be caused by the amplifier, even if the sub size and installs are exactly the same.

If the amplifier doesn't have very good electrical damping, it cannot control the sub's motion as well. This may cause a muddy/boomy sound, and lack of kick with drums.
How would damping be different if the amp, resistance and wiring were exactly the same?

8's and 15's are not faster or slower than eachother.
Getting back to the old newb-myth that 8" subs can't hit the lows
I didn't say the 8 couldn't hit lows. Not what I meant. I was speaking of transient response. That faster slower terminology want mine though it does usually refer to transient response not frequency response

How would damping be different if the amp, resistance and wiring were exactly the same?
I was saying that an amp can sometimes be the cause of a slow response, and isn't always caused by poor sub/enclosure choice.

I didn't say the 8 couldn't hit lows. Not what I meant. I was speaking of transient response. That faster slower terminology want mine though it does usually refer to transient response not frequency response
I'm just saying that the slow/fast sound depending on size myth is similar to the lows being size-dependent myth

Airspace bud. That's the difference. A cramped larger sub will be sluggish/muddy. Since most 8s don't need much at all they tend to fit random boxes better.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still going to continue to play with my Type Rs. They really do sound great IMO. But, I've grown used to them, so they don't sound too loud. My speakers aren't stressing at all so I can likely go louder. I'll need to get access to a o-scope again, so who knows when that'll be. I may play around with building my own box, see if it really makes the big difference. IDK if it makes a difference, but I do like how each of my speakers are individually chambered. That seems pretty nifty IMO. But, I got some specs to build a custom box for my subs a while back on here, I might do that sometime.

Until then, I'll be doing some extensive research on what the better SQ speakers are out there, and start getting things together.

Thanks again everyone.

I've owned quite a few of their subs. Bought everything used. My M4a was BNIB for $1,250. That's not a bad price for a compact and reliable 7k, imo.
I will not buy Soundqubed again. I got some of their pro mids. One had a decent chip out of the magnet, one dust cap wasn't centered, and one of my grille's was broken that I payed extra for. Also, the HDC3 is NOT identical to the 9500 series. A friend of mine went from DD to SQ and hated his HDC3. Sold it shortly after buying it, and got my 9512's instead.

DD in prefabs makes me cry

Yea, I don't like that you can't order direct. At the end of the summer, I will be going to the two closest dealers in the area to see who can give me the best price on some new 15" Z's.

Dealers can work on price a bit. Basically I'm just going to say that I'll buy from whoever will give me the lowest price.

Also may see if they'd do a partial trade in for my old one. DD does to trade-ins for upgrades.
1250 bnib how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Cwil5 before DD released the M5
That was his asking price too. I didn't try to talk him down any more than that
That's pretty cheap... Look at the craigslist finds post... Guy on fb lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.