Alpine Type Rs Vs. Sundowns

tommymilan311

Senior Noob VIP Member
Okay. I know I've been referred to Sundowns quite a bit. I currently have 2 Type R 10" and absolutely love them. I'm not looking to change those currently. But, I have other project cars, and cars that get driven.

I'm really sold so far on my Alpine. I've gotten rave reviews by anyone who heard my car. Even had people asking if I had JL 15s. They are great, loud, loud enough to keep up with my 100 watt door speakers, and they are extremely clean at 1000-1250 watts. I actually had trouble tuning them by ear because they just didn't distort. I fried my first one up at roughly 2700 watts, so yeah. I had to bust out the O-scope for tuning.

Now that we have a back story, onto why I asking.

I was at a audio shop today, and asked the guy about sundowns. He said:

"You know, I have been hearing an awful lot about Sundowns lately. Have you ever heard them in person?"

I replied:

"No. But they get rave review online. A lot of guys had referred me to them after I already got my Alpines."

He then says:

"Yes, they are extremely loud and can handle whatever I've seen them pushed with. But they aren't music woofers, they are sound woofers. The sound quality is complete garbage IMO. You'd likely win a SPL competition with these, but would be well outmatched in SQL."

This is a bid deal for me. I could give one iota about SPL, I'm all about the SQ. So I'm guessing these wouldn't be the speakers for me?

I have done a complete overhaul on my '14 Kia Optima. 4 new Type-R door speakers with 2 tweeters and 2 10" Type-R subs. Love it and it sound great, never heard a match. Never been to a SQL competition. Distortion is the devil, I never distort.

Jacob the owner actually cares a lot about sq woofers. Sadly the market dictates the push for loud as hell off of a million watts, but that doesn't stop Jacob from throwing a few tweaks into some of his subs that give them more SQ. I had an SA-10 and was quite impressed with the little guy. Supposedly the X and Z v4 are quite good drivers as well, but I have no personal experience with either. My opinion: Sundown subs are fantastic and if you want SQ they are quite capable if you keep SQ in mind when you are designing your enclosure and executing your install.

Jacob the owner actually cares a lot about sq woofers. Sadly the market dictates the push for loud as hell off of a million watts, but that doesn't stop Jacob from throwing a few tweaks into some of his subs that give them more SQ. I had an SA-10 and was quite impressed with the little guy. Supposedly the X and Z v4 are quite good drivers as well, but I have no personal experience with either. My opinion: Sundown subs are fantastic and if you want SQ they are quite capable if you keep SQ in mind when you are designing your enclosure and executing your install.
I did notice a big difference when I changed my enclosure of my Alpines. I decided to buy a box with the perfect tuning, porting, and volume for my speakers. They always sounded good and crystal clear, but they got a whole lot louder with the new box.

The guy is a idiot sh*t talker that has no clue or first hand experience either. Alpines are okay but plenty of woofers can easily beat alpine for the price.
I got my Alpines for pretty cheap, about 200 for the pair. Brand new in the box.

First off, the guy at the shop is an idiot, and has not heard a Sundown sub in the right setup.

Secondly, I think the SA8v2 and X-10 that I had both excelled in sound quality. I have also owned the newest Alpine type R's.

Install/enclosure is important for sound quality.

Also, I am in the "loud as hell off a million watts" crowd now, haha. Type R's are great man. That's where I started off. If you're happy, stay with them. If you want more and want to continuously want more, get some Beefy Sundowns and some power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I got my Alpines for pretty cheap, about 200 for the pair. Brand new in the box.
FU audio 12 can go toe to toe anyday. Made in the USA, beefier parts, hits lows better and gets loud and sounds good even with low power and handles a lot of power. Its close to 35lbs in weight, thats a lot of motor. $165 shipped

FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio.

I've owned a type R, it was the most mediocre performing sub out of all my subs. It wasnt bad, but it wasn't amazing either. It did sound decent and was enclosure friendly.

FU audio 12 can go toe to toe anyday. Made in the USA, beefier parts, hits lows better and gets loud and sounds good even with low power and handles a lot of power. Its close to 35lbs in weight, thats a lot of motor. $165 shipped
FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio.
No 10s? I really dig the 10 sound. Not into the over whelming low bass. Also not into over powering my doors either. I like a balance of highs and lows. I also don't like my lows to sound lower than intended. I write music. Hip-hop beats, trap beats, EDM beats, Metal, Death Metal, Rock. I like a system that sounds good with all of that, and keep the bass at the same sound as when I have headphones on (although I expect it to be louder in the car). I don't like to test a track in my car and get lower bass than what I was going for, or heard over the headphones. My 10s seem to give me nice clean bass over the 12s in the other car, or the 15s in the other, but my Optima is the only car I spent some money on. I have 4 Kenwoods in the soul and 3 15s in the torrent.

No 10s? I really dig the 10 sound. Not into the over whelming low bass. Also not into over powering my doors either. I like a balance of highs and lows. I also don't like my lows to sound lower than intended. I write music. Hip-hop beats, trap beats, EDM beats, Metal, Death Metal, Rock. I like a system that sounds good with all of that, and keep the bass at the same sound as when I have headphones on (although I expect it to be louder in the car). I don't like to test a track in my car and get lower bass than what I was going for, or heard over the headphones. My 10s seem to give me nice clean bass over the 12s in the other car, or the 15s in the other, but my Optima is the only car I spent some money on. I have 4 Kenwoods in the soul and 3 15s in the torrent.
Size of sub does not affect the sound it can produce *to an extent

A 10 and 18 can sound the same.

The install/enclosure is what's making the difference that you hear.

Fu audio does have tens... In their 750 line and their 1800spl line.... And i contacted them about what line was gonna be the most powerful 10 they would build and my response was this:

The largest sub that we will offer with be the FU2750 in a 10" model. This will be a 16 slug neo Sub woofer. It will be released later this year. I hope that this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Frank You

FU AUDIO USA

http://www.FUaudio.com

When we say "For Us" we mean For Us Audiophiles: Everyone that has been in our shoes, is in our shoes or will be in our shoes.

Exceptional Quality

Exceptional Performance

Exceptional Price

Made in the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fu audio does have tens... In their 750 line and their 1800spl line.... And i contacted them about what line was gonna be the most powerful 10 they would build and my response was this:
The largest sub that we will offer with be the FU2750 in a 10" model. This will be a 16 slug neo Sub woofer. It will be released later this year. I hope that this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Frank You

FU AUDIO USA

FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio

When we say "For Us" we mean For Us Audiophiles: Everyone that has been in our shoes, is in our shoes or will be in our shoes.

Exceptional Quality

Exceptional Performance

Exceptional Price

Made in the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16 slug neo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Size of sub does not affect the sound it can produce *to an extent
A 10 and 18 can sound the same.

The install/enclosure is what's making the difference that you hear.
I have heard this. But from my ear, I can tell that 15s have more low end bass than my 10s, and my 10s have way more range than the 15s. But, in defense of the 15s, my 10s are much higher quality speakers. The 15s are hifonics brutus in a ported box powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch. To me, they sound like poop. Nowhere near the clarity I look for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.