Alpine Type R installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

tenspeed

Hey all,

I bought some Apline Type Rs and want to install them into my car myself. I'm fairly new to car audio, but I'm determined to do this project myself (with a little help from mates) just so I can learn.

I was originally just going to run the splits off my Eclipse CD3000 head unit, I know it wouldn't be very good, but I figured it would sound better than what I have at the moment, but everyone I have talked to said it's fairly stupid to run Type Rs off a head unit so I thinking about an amp now.

I currently have an Eclipse EA4000 amp, which I'm running my Kenwood sub off, that is a 4 channel amp with 75w per channel. Would I possibly be able to run both my sub and splits off this amp? Will this be a better idea than running the splits off my head unit?

Obviously the best idea would to get another 2 channel amp for the splits, if I'm to go down that path what should I be looking at getting?

Thanks.

It's possible to run what I assume is your speakers (splits? wtf?) and the sub off that 4 channel amp however you'll be severely underpowering the sub. If you have 4 speakers I would just use the 4 channel to run the speakers and get a second amp for the sub. Something around 500w. If your only running 2 speakers then I would probably look for a small two channel and a mono block for the sub. DO NOT try and connect that subwoofer to your headunit. It does NOT have the required power for that sub and will just sound like ***.

It's possible to run what I assume is your speakers (splits? wtf?) and the sub off that 4 channel amp however you'll be severely underpowering the sub. If you have 4 speakers I would just use the 4 channel to run the speakers and get a second amp for the sub. Something around 500w. If your only running 2 speakers then I would probably look for a small two channel and a mono block for the sub. DO NOT try and connect that subwoofer to your headunit. It does NOT have the required power for that sub and will just sound like ***.
x2...New amp for the subs and use existing for speakers.

I've already got the sub wired to an amp, why would I get another amp for that and wire the splits to the exisiting amp? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to leave the sub as it is and get another amp for the splits?

I've already got the sub wired to an amp, why would I get another amp for that and wire the splits to the exisiting amp? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to leave the sub as it is and get another amp for the splits?
Because your existing amp would be better suited to run your type r's off of and it would prob be cheaper to find a mono block to run the sub off of then get another good 2 or 4 chan amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.