Alpine type r amplifier question

Mellowmatt92

Arkansas
So I have two alpine type r 12’s(older style) in a slot ported box. I have been running them on a piece of junk planet audio amp that died on me yesterday after a month of use. I am now in need of another amp. My budget is around $250. I have been eye balling the alpine mrv m1200. Does anyone know if this amp will be a good match for these two subs? I don’t want to buy another piece of junk under powered amp. I am needing around 1200 watt rms. If this isn’t the best amp for these subs at this price what is? And why do you believe so? Thanks for the help!

So I have two alpine type r 12’s(older style) in a slot ported box. I have been running them on a piece of junk planet audio amp that died on me yesterday after a month of use. I am now in need of another amp. My budget is around $250. I have been eye balling the alpine mrv m1200. Does anyone know if this amp will be a good match for these two subs? I don’t want to buy another piece of junk under powered amp. I am needing around 1200 watt rms. If this isn’t the best amp for these subs at this price what is? And why do you believe so? Thanks for the help!
we need to know if subs are d2 or d4 coils before recomending amps

D2. Currently have them wired to a 2 o final load
ok so 2ohm amp alpine is fine it just doesn't have ss filter so if your box is tuned high u may need that. but not as many amps that do full power at 2 ohm.. kicker has some that have tested well.. if u want a good amp check out the infinity k1000 does 1200rms @2ohm. this is our guy bigblank youtube amp dyno channel he tested the infinity

Alright thank you! I took your advice and ordered one. Should be here Monday! Surely it’s gonna sound better than that planet audio did. And I’m stoked about that cuz I thought the planet audio hit pretty hard!

You’re going to like that Infinity amp. I have one and like it a lot. Very powerful although it’s actually rated for 1000 watts RMS into 2 ohms and happens to make more. It’s best to have an amplifier that produces more than what is needed so you aren’t running it at, or near it’s limits, and you have some dynamic headroom with different music sources too. I have mine powering just one Sundown SA-12.

This one would be a great choice. https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-2250/ This one put down 1538 watts certified and 1600 uncertified. Plus since it’s 1 ohm stable and stapable, it gives you options for upgrading in the future to a 1 ohm setup, pushing 2263 watts certified.

So from I’m understanding, the K1000 will run ok on a factory charging system? I’m not sure exactly what killed my planet audio. It turned off and when I came back later it would pulse the subs and kick in and out of protection mode for about 30 seconds and stop on power mode and put out a high pitched tone. Almost inaudible

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

So from I’m understanding, the K1000 will run ok on a factory charging system? I’m not sure exactly what killed my planet audio. It turned off and when I came back later it would pulse the subs and kick in and out of protection mode for about 30 seconds and stop on power mode and put out a high pitched tone. Almost inaudible

And just out of curiosity and excitement, will my subs sound better if that is a thing? Before they were muddy and roary I guess you would say. Not much definition between different instruments. They hit hard, but not hard enough to feel it In my chest or in the air around me. Will this infinity amp fix that?

And just out of curiosity and excitement, will my subs sound better if that is a thing? Before they were muddy and roary I guess you would say. Not much definition between different instruments. They hit hard, but not hard enough to feel it In my chest or in the air around me. Will this infinity amp fix that?
it should sound better but a lot if not most of sq is the box.. if u have cheap prefab thats to small for subs or has tiny port thats not great.. the amp needs at least 4ga wire (i have 1150rms on old 4ga) but i have big 3 wires done under hood and agm battery.. how many amps is your alt?

Unless the amplifier was horribly under powering the subs than you likely won’t notice a SQ difference in terms of definition, but with more power you would get louder and have higher dynamic range, which means the bass volume between the softer sounds and the louder ones is greater. You need to more than double power though to notice it.

Ryan got I think 113 amps draw from the K1000 at 2 ohms, which is very good efficiency. I have mine on a shared 4 gauge power wire (upgrading soon to dedicated 4g) with my Pioneer 75x4 Amplifier with no issues on stock electrical and an AGM yellow top battery. I have zero eletrical issues and my voltage doesn’t even budge, even when I’m cranking it playing bass heavy music. This amplifier has near 1600 watts dynamic power so it should be happy driving your Alpines subs, provided you set the gain correctly. Also, with such a large ported box, your Alpine subwoofers probably don’t need the full amount of power they are rated for. If fact, that large box might be why they sound kind of muddy, depending on your tune and box construction. The right box makes a huge difference in the subwoofers SQ and even power handling.

I’ve swapped many different amplifiers of similar ratings and never notice any SQ difference. It’s only when I swap a more powerful one with a lesser one that I notice a difference. The last time that happened whe was when I swapped my 40wpc with over 100 wpc. Well, I actually did notice a big difference between a cheap NVX micro amplifier and a 25 year old Alpine amplifier that was supposedly rated for 40 watts less and strangely it was a large difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.