Ryan Blankenship I challenge you

Jcsaudio

Senior VIP Member
In a good way!

Many of the amplifiers you test have not so great efficiency, and most are (I think) in the 60-70% efficiency range. As these amplifiers get more powerful, they also demand more electrical because of thier poor efficiency, necessitating the need for more and expensive electrical upgrades.

The Brutal sounds Amplifier you tested has between 88% efficiency at 4 ohms and near 96% efficiency at 2 ohms (are you sure thats not a mistake?). This to me is amazing and a true budget gem. Consider this in comparison to the SoundQubed S12250 with similar power and between 69% and 62% efficiency at those same ohm ratings. At 1 ohm the SoundQubed draws about 128 amps more compared to the Brutal Sounds for similar power ratings. This could be the difference betweeen a $300-$600 alternator upgrade or not for some systems, all for a $100 cheaper amplifier.

So this gives me an idea for a new budget gem/efficiency class that ignores all the inefficient chinese amplifiers you’ve mostly been testing and emphasizes the best efficiency and qaulity for the money. I’m willing to bet many of the members here would like to see more amplifiers tested like the Brutal Sounds.

I seriously doubt the brutal sounds is that efficient. Its not some magical new kind of amp.
I said the same thing but, what if it was close to that? It’s usually the power supply efficiency, I think, that is the weak link in amplifier efficiency. I would imagine that efficiency also goes up as the quality of the components and design go up too but I have no way of knowing this for sure.

Efficiency will never increase with a lower load
This.

Unless BS sent him an amp that was "modified" for testing, just to boost sales on their part. Even tho, just as stated, you lose effeciency with lower ohm loads. Been that way for years.

I think the clamp resolution skewed that test to be honest. While the amp is efficient, I think the Uncertified amp draw number is a better representation (75% efficient) of what the amp actually performs at.

The numbers in my videos are a reference point on the efficiency but shouldnt be gospel.

Well I guess I should have known better. Might want to correct those numbers. Would like to see more efficient amplifiers put to the test accuarately.
I don't think you understand, he can't correct those numbers. You're lucky he's invested as much as he has to even get a DC clamp onto the amps.

Without a lab grade oscilloscope, datalogging, and some form of communication between the amp dyno and an oscilloscope or computer that calculates actual amperage draw at a certain point in time no one is going to get accurate numbers. Total power in (area under the curve with time being the x axis) vs total power out is what I'd argue as the number we want, but again, that's a lot of money.

The numbers are for reference to give you an idea of what it will draw at that load. The current draw you will see will vary too, because of varying impedance on music, and electrical fluctuations.

While I understand where you're coming from, you need to correct your understanding of these numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the clamp resolution skewed that test to be honest. While the amp is efficient, I think the Uncertified amp draw number is a better representation (75% efficient) of what the amp actually performs at.
The numbers in my videos are a reference point on the efficiency but shouldnt be gospel.
Just for fun, if you want to borrow a Fluke DC Clamp meter for a month or so I'd be willing to ship it free of charge. I doubt the resolution is any better, if different at all, but it's nice to compare sometimes.

Just for fun, if you want to borrow a Fluke DC Clamp meter for a month or so I'd be willing to ship it free of charge. I doubt the resolution is any better, if different at all, but it's nice to compare sometimes.
I use a Fluke now, the one in the Brutal Sounds, Orion CB4500.1 and Audiopipe APCLE Vid is a Fluke 381 one of the most expensive Flukes you can buy

I don't think you understand, he can't correct those numbers. You're lucky he's invested as much as he has to even get a DC clamp onto the amps.
While I understand where you're coming from, you need to correct your understanding of these numbers
Wew lad, please understand that what I meant by correct the numbers was to change the efficiency certified number of ~96% in his actual video to the uncertified number that Ryan posted above of ~75%. We all agree that efficiency never goes up as impedance goes down. What I don’t understand is why he put such a high number there if it’s not realistic? Ryan, maybe you can help me understand this more?

Please understand that I agkowledge that Ryan does a great service to the car audio communumity and that I’m merely discussing an idea I came up with in hopes of convincing Ryan to try this new idea. Sort of a budget efficiency/qaulity amplifier category I guess. I guess I would like to see more Korean and higher end boards tested and factor in efficiency more than just dollar per watt value in the decision as a budget gem.

Wew lad, please understand that what I meant by correct the numbers was to change the efficiency certified number of ~96% in his actual video to the uncertified number that Ryan posted above of ~75%. We all agree that efficiency never goes up as impedance goes down. What I don’t understand is why he put such a high number there if it’s not realistic? Ryan, maybe you can help me understand this more?
Please understand that I agkowledge that Ryan does a great service to the car audio communumity and that I’m merely discussing an idea I came up with in hopes of convincing Ryan to try this new idea. Sort of a budget efficiency/qaulity amplifier category I guess. I guess I would like to see more Korean and higher end boards tested and factor in efficiency more than just dollar per watt value in the decision as a budget gem.
I put the numbers in there because that's what the meter showed, I think I even mention to take the clamp numbers worth a grain of salt. I retested the amp several times and got the same numbers.... So I put them in the video. If you notice in the results I put a question mark next to the results meaning I'm not sure as to their accuracy. Again without the ability to calibrate the meter to the dyno there is not a way to correctly measure the efficiency so this is the best I can do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jcsaudio

Senior VIP Member
Jcsaudio
Worcester, MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from