Alex's Silverado

Similar construction method I used last time. Will be slightly different because I learned it's a pain in the ass to use 2x4's on the baffle side!

Most sides will be 2x4's stacked vertically and "laced/overlapped/alternated" (whatever you want to call it) on the corners for support. Like this, haha:

image.jpg

Off-topic, but these shelves I saw on google images look sweet!

c7fed6e983357003f3858a6c1652b93b.jpg

8c95de51932f7c926faa29ab0a7aa9c2.jpg

Similar construction method I used last time. Will be slightly different because I learned it's a pain in the ass to use 2x4's on the baffle side!
Most sides will be 2x4's stacked vertically and "laced/overlapped/alternated" (whatever you want to call it) on the corners for support. Like this, haha:

image.jpg

Off-topic, but these shelves I saw on google images look sweet!

c7fed6e983357003f3858a6c1652b93b.jpg

8c95de51932f7c926faa29ab0a7aa9c2.jpg
Plus if it doesn't work out again you can always plant flowers in it lol!

Started today by cutting the carpet out of the back so I could attach the wood directly to metal with adhesive

IMG_20160712_114626_051_zpswadhlaug.jpg

Once it was completely gutted, I began construction. Plan is that once I get 8 2x4's high, I'll build the baffle, brace it, and fiberglass the inside of the sealed section.

Then, I'll test-fit the subs and reinstall the amps/batteries. From that point, I can continue building up the sides of the 4th while still being able to play music (from basically just a regular sealed box)

IMG_20160712_151403_530_zpshjtkh6hl.jpg

nice flower pots homo lol youll get more airspace this time it looks like and i bet youll continue to improve from previous iterations and thats awesome i hope you take your time. i probably wouldnt but i would want to anyways. not gonna lie and say id focus on the small details but i hope you do at least

just straight up cut the carpet, not caring about it in the future?

I plan to budget so my kids get the same thing I do.

Also, just talked to her about me moving out. She said it was fine, and didn't really seem concerned about it. She wasn't mad at all. I didn't say it in a mean way. I just said I had loaned my co-worker $300 for a deposit on an apartment. He said he could pay me back next Friday, or I could just live with him for a month. That's exactly what happened

You're an idiot. Right out of school, average paid internship for CAT is $62k. Working my way up, I can make more. College is not a waste at all. It's going to be a lot of fun and land me a career. Plus, mine is paid for
My dad works at franchises for cat.. right now out of school at about 24 years old they paid Engineers between 50 and 60 most people who work in the field what a 2 year degree for two years are making more than that. 2 year degree +2 years experience as a tech is 24-28 a hour with typically a 60 hour week. Do the math.

I'm telling you from experience not a hypothetical standpoint.

The real world doesn't go by paper statistics and predictive modeling.

College vs technical school. College is a money grab. You take classes you don't need and you will typically never ever use. when you go to trade school it's more Hands-On and they specifically teach you things that you're going to use every day I see so many people come out of school that are engineers and it will swear they know what the f*** they doing they can design a basic circuit go when you want it up the mother f***** don't work. I constantly recline prints. It's maddening that the engineers don't know **** just draw prints. Most EEs can't wire or troubleshoot.. lol

nice flower pots homo lol youll get more airspace this time it looks like and i bet youll continue to improve from previous iterations and thats awesome i hope you take your time. i probably wouldnt but i would want to anyways. not gonna lie and say id focus on the small details but i hope you do at least
just straight up cut the carpet, not caring about it in the future?
Yeah, should get a ton more airspace than last time!

I have exactly one month today until I leave for school and want to get this project done. If enough progress isn't being made each day, I'm going to quit my job here a bit earlier than planned

I learned a lot from the last box, and am hoping this performs.

Yeah, I just cut the fuckin' carpet out, lol. With everything else being done, I don't see it as a big deal

I could still put the seats back in if I needed to. After it gets used for audio, I see three options for the fate of this truck:

1. I gut the enclosure and put the seats back in if I knock a chick up and need something to haul a family in. The interior is trashed, but that's alright because a kid would trash it anyways, lol.

2. I get an S-10 blazer and swap my audio into that. This truck gets made into a mud truck for fun. Would be out getting dirty and hitting things, so carpet doesn't matter

3. Hopefully won't happen, but if it gets wrecked beyond repair, I'll have to get a new vehicle and the carpet won't matter

I missed the conversation. So what do you recommend as a career then. Im 24 and I havnt done much in life. Kinda lost as to where to pursue a career for a good future

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The oil field here is hurting. Bad.

follow your dreams..

I can say this though I've seen oeople get an associates degree in a field do it for a few years them complete their degree and be the most knowledgeable engineers in the workforce.

Many companies once you have some kind of school even a diploma will school you for free while you work for them.

Used to love electrical and designing. Designing and Wiring all kinds of controls etc etc but work in the field is almost never permanent with one company unless is a highly established company And typically they treat you just like your replaceable. I figured the more I knew the better off i would be but now I realize that these companies don't give a s***.. I just have to go back and fix everybody elses fuckups be a useful they know I can.. smh

Got a decent bit of work done during my shift. Started fiberglassing the bottom and tried play sand mixed with resin like Doug suggested. It's solid and stuck surprisingly well to the painted metal. Going to do a bunch of fiberglass layers on the bottom of the enclosure., especially over the play sand.

IMG_20160714_102135_794_zps2rgrmgkr.jpg

IMG_20160714_175835_472_zps7axzqq04.jpg

Subs are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.