Alex's Chevy Rat Rod Dually

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Well, I haven't got a lot done, but figured I'd start the build log for it. I've been wanting to build a dually rat rod truck for a while, and I've finally got the chance to do it.

I bought a 1994 Chevy 3500 dually for $650. It runs and drives, but the radiator is cracked. My cousin's husband drove it home for me.

image1_7.jpg

I wanted to make it single cab, not extended cab. My uncle Dave who built my 2007 Silverado had a 97 Silverado cab from a wrecked truck. I traded him some Silverado parts for the cab and a 350 out of an 86 Impala. Since this picture, I've swapped the red doors out for black ones.

image1_5.jpg

Just started harvesting from the donor vehicle today and I'm keeping my snap chat story updated with progress.

image6_1.jpg

image7_1.jpg

image8_1.jpg

I took the hood, front fenders, grill, headlights, bumper, wheel wells, and trans intercooler off the 3500.

Now I just need to pull the engine, transmission, and rear end. Then I'm scrapping the frame and the rest of the body. I'm getting a custom frame made, and getting a front suspension/steering kit. My uncle had a custom frame made for the 31 Ford rat rod he's making. I'm going to do the suspension the same as his, except I'm going to use air bags instead of coil springs. The back is going to get a 4 link system also with bags. I'm not going to put a bed on the rear over the wheels.

This is my uncle's A arm kit on the custom frame. He still has to hook the steering linkage up (and brakes, engine, cooling system, body panels, ect. haha)

image3_3.jpg

This build log will take a while. The frame is going to cost $2,000. Suspension will be $750. Fuel cell is $250, and I estimate I'll need $1,000 for odds and ends. Total, this is going to cost me an estimated $4,000. After all my expenses, I make about $250 extra each week I can spend on projects. Keep in mind I also have an audio build. This is probably going to take a year or so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

you should watch this

Cool, just watched the first episode. I'm not doing that much performance modification.

I just plan to put a more aggressive cam in it, a 750 Holley carb, a small simple wet nos system, and possibly a new ignition system.

I'm not adding any forced induction or messing with electronic fuel injection. Back in 8th grade, I bought a motorcycle EFI kit and turbo for a Kawasaki Ninja. My dad helped me try and adapt it for a 205cc go kart I had. We could never get the efi kit to work, and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I like carbureted engines because I can more easily diagnose and fix problems.

Cool, just watched the first episode. I'm not doing that much performance modification.
I just plan to put a more aggressive cam in it, a 750 Holley carb, a small simple wet nos system, and possibly a new ignition system.

I'm not adding any forced induction or messing with electronic fuel injection. Back in 8th grade, I bought a motorcycle EFI kit and turbo for a Kawasaki Ninja. My dad helped me try and adapt it for a 205cc go kart I had. We could never get the efi kit to work, and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I like carbureted engines because I can more easily diagnose and fix problems.
thats too bad, could have a rat rod making 600whp but i dont blame you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.